Name: Benjamin Graves
CHILDREN OF JOHN GRAVES (1)
Benjamin Graves (2) was born in 1645 in Concord, Mass., and died before 23 March 1724. (d. 18 March 1715, in Concord, acorrding to R-39) He married Mary Hoar, daughter of John Hoar and Alice ------ (possibly Lisle) of Concord, on 21 Oct. 1668 (Concord Register, Book Y; see Appendix for her Hoar ancestry). He was in the Colonial Wars as a member of Captain Thomas Wheeler's Company, and fought against the Indians in July and August 1675. It is also noted that he was a soldier in King Phillip's War in Captain Wheeler's Company, and was in fights a Wicnaboag Pond and Brookfileld, on 16 Aug. 1675. He served in Groton in Feb. 1675-1676, and his name appears again on the payroll 24 Aug. 1676.
He and his brother John Graves of Sudbury, Mass., with others, purchased on 20 May 1681 from Christopher Hall "all the mines and minerals of one kind or another found or to be found or that may be found on his land in Groton, Mass. at a place called Cold Spring near William Longby's house, with liberty to dig, delve or use the land and to erect buildings etc." Benjamin Graves did not move to Groton but continued to live at Concord until after 1681, and all his children except the last one were born at Concord (according to Concord Register, Book 1).
Benjamin was apparently still living in Concord in 1684, since on a list of the second order of proprietors (1745) is included "David Comee, then living where Benjamin Graves lived in the year 1684."
He moved to Saybrook, Conn., and lived at Pattaconke (northern part of Saybrook), where he bought land 25 Jan. 1703. He deeded half of his farm to his son Joseph on 18 March 1715, and certain lands to his son John of Killingworth, Conn. on 14 Sept. 1716.
The following records were found regarding Benjamin:
November 4, 1716, Benjamin Graves, yeoman, for love and good will to loving son John, now resident of Killingsworth, amessuage or tenement at Pottaconk, with all the buildings, etc., bounded westerly by land of Joseph Graves, it being understood that Benjamin is to retain the life use of the same. (John sold the property in 1724.)
March 18, 1715, Benjamn Graves for love and affection to son Joseph deeded one-half the farm where I now dwell the westerly half (R-9).
Old Saybrook was divided into three parts. The northern part was called Pattaconke (also spelled Pataconke and Pattaquonck). "The committee for highway improvements were to lay out a good and sufficient highway to the 'Great River' at the northward side of ye land formerly owned by Benjamin Graves in Pattaconke", action taken at Saybrook, 5 Jan. 1724/5.
Old Saybrook is on the south shore of Conn., on Long Island Sound, at the mouth of the Conn. River. Pattaconke was about 7 miles north of the mouth of the Conn. River when a part of Saybrook. It is now the town of Chester, Conn.
Killingworth is about 5 miles west of Chester, and was originally a part of Clinton, Conn. until 1836. Clinton is on the south shore of Conn. about 5 miles south of Killingworth, Conn. The land in this area is hilly and rolling, with forests. The births of all the children except John were recorded in Concord Register, Book 1. (R-1, R-20, R-39, R-200)
Children - Graves
+5. Mary Graves, b. 18 Jan. 1668/1669/70, m. Benjamin Rice, 1 April 1691.
6. Elizabeth ( or Mehitable) Graves, b. 25 April 1671, m. Joseph Beebe (or Beck R-40), 26 Dec. (or March) 1706 (New London, Conn.).
+7. Ruth Graves, b. 25 Nov. 1674, m. John Webb, 25 Jan. 1699/1700, m(2) William Merriam, 7 Nov. 1711.
+8. Benjamin Graves, b. 2 March 1676/7, m(1) Ruth Stirling (or Mary Sterling), m(2) Mary Haynes, d. 30 Dec. 1752.
+9. Joseph Graves, b. 1 Sept. 1679, m. Sarah ------, d. after 2 April 1756.
10. Joanna Graves, b. 2 Feb. 1681.
+11. John Graves, b. 1683, m(1) Hannah Farnum, 30 May 1710, m(2) Sarah Chapman, 18 June 1754, d. 29 Dec. 1766.
12. Rebecca Graves, b.c. 1685, m. Jonathan Daniels, 1706.
Father: John Graves
Mary Hoare b: 1648
- Mary Graves b: 1670
- Title: Compendium of A merican Genealogy Vol VII