Name: Charles Edwin PAMMENT , Sr
Birth: ABT 1829 in London, Middlesex, England 1
Death: BET JUL AND SEP 1893 in Bury St. Edmunds registration district, England 2
Burial: 12 AUG 1893 Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England
Occupation: 1847 grocer 3
Occupation (2) 1871 groom and gardener/Cherry Hinton, Cambs. England 4
Occupation (3) 1891 retired railway worker/Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England 5
Baptism: 2 JUN 1830 Isleham, Cambridgeshire, England 6
Baptismal entry reads PAMMANT (Pamment)Charles EDMUND of Susan. I believe he was baptized after her death (APR 1830), raising the possibility that she died in childbirth. I also believe that Charles Edmund is the same child living at the Vicarage House (being brought up by church?) in 1841 census for Isleham.
1841 census for Isleham, address Vicarage House, age 15. Note: Some ages for 1841 census were rounded off.
10 Oct 1847 Isleham Banns; Pamment Charles Edwin bac and Sarah Carter, widow of Denston, Suffolk.
Please note that although parish register said "Edmund" in baptismal entry, the banns and the marriage certificate both say "Edwin."
Copy of marriage certificate from parish of Denston in Suffolk: Oct. 14, 1847.
Charles Edwin Pamment, full age, bachelor, grocer, living in Isleham, (FATHER'S NAME LISTED AS NOT KNOWN) married Sarah Carter, full age, widow, grocer, living in Denston, father John Pattle. Married in church. NOTE: From subsequent census reports, it does not appear that either one were of FULL age at marriage.
Name: Charles E. Pamment
Address: Dearleys Farm
Enumeration district: Denardiston
Birth Place: Middlesex, England, London
Marriage Status: Married
Occupation: Broker & Grocer
Name Residence Birth Place Gender Age
Charles E. PammentDenardiston, Suffolk Middlesex London Male 26
Sarah Pamment Denardiston, Suffolk Suffolk Wickhambrook Female 35
Stephen Carter Denardiston, Suffolk Suffolk, Denardiston Male 9
Charles E. Pamment Denardiston, SuffolkSuffolk, Denardiston Ma
Arthur Pamment Denardiston, Suffolk Suffolk Denardiston Male 0.05
Cathrine Hurrell Denardiston, Suffolk Suffolk, Wickhambrook Female 20
Name Est Birth Year Birthplace RelationshipOccupation
Charles E Pamment 1826 London, MiddlesexHead/WidrShop Keeper
Charles E Pamment 1849 Denston, SuffolkSon
Stephen Carter 1842 Denston, SuffolkSonWatchmaker
Authur P Pamment 1851 Denston, SuffolkSon
Anna E Pamment 1857 Denston, SuffolkDaughter
Sarah A Pymar 1841 Wickhambrook, SuffolkNieceHousekeeper
Civil parish: Denston
Street address: Wickham St
Source information: RG9/1125
Registration district: Risbridge
Sub-registration district: Wickhambrook
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Household schedule number: 68
GSU Number: 542758
NOTE: This is the first of several instances of his birthplace listed as London. One can only speculate that perhaps his mother Susan was sent to London to have the baby although no connection to family in London has yet been discovered.
1871 census for Cherry Hinton, Cambs. has the following family living on High Street:
Charles E. Pamment42 groom&gardener born London, Middlesex
Sarah A.41born Wickhambrook, Suffolk
Charles E. (Jr.)23 engine fitterborn Denston, Suffolk
Arthur20 gardenerborn Denston, Suffolk
Henry (??) 6born Burwell, Cambs.
Frederick 4born Cherry Hinton, Cambs.
Dwelling:13 Bishops Rd
Census Place:Bury St Edmunds St James, Suffolk, England
Source:FHL Film 1341446 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 1844 Folio 10 Page 14
Charles PAMMENTM50 MLondon, Middlesex, England
Occ:Raily & Engine Cleaner
Ann PAMMENTM40 FWickhambrook, Suffolk, England
Harry PAMMENTU18 MBurwell, Cambridge, England
Occ:Raily No Taker (Out Of Emp)
Frederick PAMMENT 15 MCherry Hinton, Cambridge, England
Mary J. PAMMENT 8 FBury St Eds, Suffolk, England
Benjamin PYMARW79 MSwaffham, Norfolk, England
George PYMARU21 MWickhambrook, Suffolk, England
Occ:Raily Engine Cleaner
1891 census for Bury St. Edmunds, #9 Outnorthgate St. finds Charles Edwin Pamment Sr., age 63, situation "border" (in Charles Jr's home) retired railway worker. Widower. Place of birth listed as London, Aldgate.
1892 marriage certificate lists for "Father's Name and Surname" -- Susan Pamment and in "rank or profession" it states "single woman." This is the evidence which conclusively links Charles Edwin Pamment, Sr. to Susan Pamment and the main family tree.
As Charles Edwin Pamment, Sr. and spouse Sarah Ann Pymar were married in an independent chapel, any baptisms were likely non-conformist baptisms and more difficult to trace.
DEATH registered -
Deaths Sep 1893 (July/August/September)
Pamment Charles Edwin 72 Bury St. Edmunds district, volume 4a page 46
Mother: Susan PAMMENT b: ABT 1808 in Isleham, Cambridgeshire, England
Sarah Pattle CARTER b: ABT 1816 in England
14 OCT 1847
in Denston, Suffolk, England 7
Marriage certificate details:
Oct. 14, 1847. Charles Edwin Pamment, full age, bachelor, grocer, living in Isleham, Cambs.; fathers name "not known" marrying Sarah Carter, full age, widow, grocer, Denston, Suffolk (residence) father's name is John Pattle. NOTE: Wedding took place at Denston Parish Church.
- Charles Edwin PAMMENT , Jr b: BET JUL AND SEP 1848 in Denston, Suffolk, England
- Arthur Pattle PAMMENT b: BET JAN AND MAR 1850 in Risbridge Registration District, Suffolk,England
- Arthur Pattle PAMMENT b: 9 MAR 1851 in Denston, Suffolk, England
- Anna Jane PAMMENT b: BET JUL AND SEP 1853 in Denston, Suffolk, England
- Elizabeth Emma PAMMENT b: BET APR AND JUN 1857 in Wickhambrook, Suffolk, England
- Henry PAMMENT b: AUG 1860 in Wickhambrook, Suffolk, England
Sarah Ann PYMAR b: ABT 1839 in Wickhambrook, Suffolk, England
23 JUL 1862
in Independent Chapel at Stansfield, Suffolk 8
- Note: Both stated that their residence was Denston, Suffolk. Charles Edwin, Sr. stated that his age was 35. His father's name was left blank on the certificate.
- Harry PAMMENT b: BET 1863 AND 1865 in Burwell, Cambridgeshire, England
- Frederick Thomas PAMMENT b: ABT 1867 in Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire, England
- Mary Jane PAMMENT b: BET OCT AND DEC 1872 in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England
Mary Ann Hazlewood LONG b: BET 1827 AND 1828
7 FEB 1892
in Parish Church, St. John's, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England 9
- Note: Both Charles and Mary were widower and widow, respectively. Mary Ann's age was 64. Charles stated he was living at 2 Tayfen Terrace, Bury St. Edmunds and Mary was living at 1 Avenue Approach, Bury St. Edmunds.
- Baptized 1830. Suspect that his mother Susan may have died giving birth to Charles Edmund. She died in April 1830.
- Title: Death registered in Bury St. Edmunds district volume 4a page 46
- Marriage certificate lists occupation.
- 1871 census for Cherry Hinton, Cambs.
- 1891 census for Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk.
- Isleham Parish Register (1566-1851)
- Copy of marriage certificate
- Title: e-mail from Sue Ayre dtd 5/20/2000
- Title: Marriage Certificate of Charles Edwin Pamment to Mary Ann Long