Name: Nathaniel Bacon Sr.
Given Name: Nathaniel
Birth: ABT 1619/1620 in ,, England
Death: 16 Mar 1691 in "Kings Creek", York Co., Virginia
! (1) "The Tayloes of Virginia and Allied Families," by W. Randolph Tayloe (Berryville, VA, 1963), p.1. FHL #929.273 T211t.
Change Date: 4 Oct 2008 at 01:00:00
(2)"Captive used as Pawns: Hostage Crisis Nothing New for Virginians," by George Tucker, "The Virginian-Pilot and the Ledger-Star," Sun. 9 Sep 1990, Sec. C6. Cites: (a) "The Governor and the Rebel: A History of Bacon's Rebellion in Virginia," by Wilcomb E. Washburn (1957), citing British archives.
(3) "Richard Lines," by Denise Dillon (http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com, :2889243 database, 12 Nov 2005).
(4) "Ware Family History," by Wanda Ware DeGidio (http://members.cox.net/wdegidio/ware/warefamily.htm, Oct 2008). Cites: (a) Dow 4 217, Williamsburg Historical Research Center.
(5) "New River Notes, " Colonial Virginia Register, A list of Governors, Councillors and Other Higher Officials, and also of Members of the House of Burgesses, and the Revolutionary Conventions of the Colony of Virginia," comp. by William Glover and Mary Newton Standard (Joel Munsell's Sons, Albany, NY, 1902) (http://www.newrivernotes.com/va/vareg1.htm, 2006).
! Birth: (2,3) 1620. (2) First cousin once removed of Nathaniel BACON Jr., "the Rebel." (3) s/o James BACON/Martha WOODWARD. England. (4) s/o Rev. James BACON, Rector of Burgate, Suffolk, England. (5) 1619. England.
Marriage to Elizabeth KINGSMILL: (1,3) (2) Bef. 1676. (4) Widow of William TAYLOR (TAYLOE) of King's Creek, York Co., VA.
Death: (2) 1690. (3) 16 Mar 1690/1. (5) 16 Mar 1692. VA.
(2) Of Kings Creek plantation, York Co., VA.
(5) 1657: Nathaniel BACON of "Queen's Creek," York Co., VA was a member of the Council.
(5) 1675-1687: Auditor General of VA.
(5) 1687, Apr: Nathaniel BACON, President of the Council, was acting Governor of VA. (2,4) Served twice as acting governor of the colony of VA. (2,4) President of the Virginia Council.
(4a) 1675, 26 May: Peter WARE Jr. sold to Nathaniel BACON land in Queen?s Creek, Hampton Parish, York Co., VA, the land as having belonged to his father Peter WARE "long since deceased."
(2) 1676: He did not approve of the rash behavior of his cousin Nathaniel BACON Jr., "the Rebel" who led Bacon's Rebellion against Gov. Sir William BERKELEY. As a consequence, his home was pillaged by the younger BACON's forces and his wife was taken hostage and subjected to great indignity before she was released.
(4) 1693: Valentine WARE Sr. (believed to be the spouse of Mary DUDLEY, d/o William DUDLEY/Elizabeth CARY), was appointed executor of the will of Hon./Col. Nathaniel BACON, who died without issue. Nathaniel BACON's estate was quite extensive, owning property in both VA and England. His estate was originally intended for his cousin, Nathaniel BACON the rebel, but his cousin's untimely death in 1676 dictated he leave his estate to his niece, Abigail SMITH. Abigail married Major Lewis BURWELL II, who provided bond for Valentine while performing his duties as executor.
Father: James Bacon b: ABT 1603
Mother: Martha Woodward
Elizabeth Kingsmill b: ABT 1624/1625 in , James City Co., Virginia