Name: James Metcalfe
Given Name: James
Birth: in , Yorkshire, England
Death: in Nappa, Yorkshire, England
Reference Number: E246374.2
! (1) "Virginia Genealogies and County Records," by Annie Walker Burns, "Metcalfe Family History," Vol. I, p.26-32. FHL book 975.5 D2bab.
Change Date: 7 Jun 2011 at 01:00:00
(2) "Genealogy of the Metcalfe Family," by Henry Clay Metcalfe (Carlisle, KY, 1903). Mss. File 2067, Kentucky Historical Socieyt, Frankfort, KY.
(3) "Metcalfe Lineages," by Howard H. Metcalfe (2nd ed., 1994) p.443, 447-448. FHL book 929.273 M565mhh. Cites: (a) Letter from William Pickett Bruce to Gen. Bela Metcalfe Hughes, Cincinnati, OH, 7 Apr 1892, and annotations thereon by Gen. Hughes. Original in possession of Orrick Metcalfe of Natchez, MS, citing genealogical table taken from public records in London, sent to him by the widow of Sir Henry Christopher METCALFE of Hawstead House, Bury, Edmonds, England. (b) Genealogical table in possession of Philip J. van Dael of Teldersweg, Netherlands, "Mecca News, The Journal of the Metcalfe Society" (England), No. 37, Aug 1992. On the chart it states "Brompton, Christmas 1871," printed by John B. Day, Lithographer, Savoy Street, Strand, comp. by John Henry Metcalfe, London. There are handwritten genealogical notes on the chart.
(4) "The Visitation of Yorkshire 1584/5 by Robert Glover, Somerset Herald, and Subsequent Visitation 1612 by Richard St. George," ed. Joseph Foster, p.409, Metcalfe, of Nappa, Otterington, &c. Cites: (a) 18,011, fo. 227b. 1487, fo. 274b. (b) Dugdale's Visitation, p. 105, 177, 325. (c) Pedigree at large in author's Yorkshire Collection.
(5) "An History of Richmondshire in the North Riding of the County of York," by Thomas Dunham Whitaker, LL.D., F.S.A. (1823) p.406. FHL book 942 H2whi Vol. 1.
! Birth: (1,3b) s/o John METCALFE/Alice __. (2) s/o John METCALF/Alice of Ireby. (3a) s/o John METCALFE.
Marriage to Gilsone of Ireby: (1) Unnamed d/o Gibson of Ireby Hall. (2) Gilsone of Ireby. (3b) Unnamed d/o Gibson of Irby Hall, Co. Lancaster, 8 Ed. IV . (4a) Unnamed d/o __ GIBSON. (5) Unnamed d/o __ GIBSON of Iveby Hall.
(3b) Of Worton and Nappa, Esq. (4a) Of Wenslydale. Temp. Hen. V.
(3) Before 1407: (3b) Was Lord of the Manor of Nappa before 9 Hen IV. (2) Of Nappa in Wensleydale. Lord of the Manor of Nappa when Margaret, widow of Richard, Lord of Sorofe, claimed dower rights in said manor. (5) Of Nappa, in Comita. Eborum, Esq.
(1,2,3) 1415: (1,2,3b,4a) Captain in Battle of Agincourt in France. (2) Under Henry V. (3b) 3 Hen. V. Captain of the Wensleydale-men. (5) Captain in the battle of Agincourt, tempore Henry V.
(2) 1472: Widow of Lord SOROFE released to James METCALF and heirs all claims to the Manor of Nappa.
(2) A Catholic.
(3b) Founded the Chantry of Saint Anne to the intent to pray for the soul of Richard NEVILLE, late Earl of Salisbury, for the soul of his benefactors and all Christian souls, also for the good estae of the King [Ed. IV] and his most dear consort Elys., also for the founder James M., his sons Thomas and Myles and all his sons and daughters, that their souls may pass away into the light of the eternal.
Father: John Metcalfe b: in Baynbridge, Yorkshire, England
Mother: Alice de Ireby
Gibson of Ireby b: in Irby Hall, Lancastershire, England
- Reginald Metcalfe b: in , Yorkshire, England
- Thomas Metcalfe b: ABT 1424 in Nappa, Yorkshire, England
- Bryan "of the Boar" Metcalfe b: in , Yorkshire, England
- Myles Metcalfe b: in , Yorkshire, England
- Joan Metcalfe b: in Nappa, Yorkshire, England
- Cicely Metcalfe b: in Nappa, Yorkshire, England