Name: Nancy REECE
ALIA: Nancy REESE /REECE/
Birth: ABT 1816 in NC per most of her children's censuses. Two daughters list Reece and Nancy Reece as their mother. Help needed to verify.
Death: SEP 1849 in Buncombe Co, NC See1850 mortality schedule
Thanks to Charlene (actual descendant of William Edmonds and his second wife) for finding this on the 1850 Mortality Schudule. She didn't die of childbirth and her last daughter isn't named after her, as many people suggested was the reason "Margaret Reneau" died and Margaret Edmonds was named for her ((except for the fact that Margaret Reneau wasn't this Wm Edmonds' wife and Margaret wasn't the last daughter of the first wife)).
I have been unable to find any other Nancy or Edmonds who works. Only the wife of William. Any other documentation or suggestions welcomed. (Remember mortality schedules run from June 1 the year PRIOR to the census to May 31 the year of the census. So if someone dies in Sept and it's on the Mortality Schedule, it's Sept 1849, not Sept 1850.]
U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules Index http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=USMortality&h=2148249&indiv=try&o_vc=Record:OtherRecord&rhSource=3530
Surname: Nancy Edmunds
County: Buncombe CO.
Gender: F (Female)
Month of Death: Sep
State of Birth: NC
Occupation: NONE LISTED
Cause of Death: PNEUMONIA
-------------------------- Margaret Reneau is NOT the mother of the first set of children ----------------------
Since Ruth Brimer (widow of Hezekiah Reneau) thought her daughter Margaret (listed as Margaret Edmonds) was alive on May 3, 1872 when Ruth wrote her will, then Margaret didn't die in 1847 or 1848 so she isn't the mother of William Edmonds' kids in Buncombe County, or the Wiliam Edmonds' kids in Jefferson County.
We don't know who she married. We don't know where she went or when she died. We don't know her birth order in the Reneau family so we don't know her birth year.
The will of Ruth (Brimer) Reneau dated May 3, 1872 provided by Sue Damewood.
Will Book 6, page 491, probated September 1, 1873 says the following:
"I Ruth Reneau being weak in body but of sound mind and memory thanks be to God for his mercies do make and publish this as my last will and testament hereby revoking all former Wills at any time by me made.
(1) I direct that my body be buried in a Christian like manner.
(2) I will to my two daughters Sarah Reneau and Martha Jane Cooper formerly Martha Jane Reneau the tract of land I purchased of Susan Ellison containing two acres being the whereon we now live to be equally divided between them, share and share alike, to them and their heirs forever.
(3) I desire if I should die possessed of any personal property or any means after my death should come into their hands---Executor herein after named, from any source whatever is to be equally divided between my said two daughters Sarah and Martha Jane.
(4) As to my other children, being sons and daughters I have given them all that I intend to give them of my estate to wit William Reneau, Thomas Reneau, James Reneau and Preston Reneau, also daughters to wit Elizabeth McCarter formerly Elizabeth Reneau, Margaret Edmonds formerly Martha Reneau.
I hereby appoint my daughter Sarah Reneau executrix of this my will, to carry out the same without giving gond. In testimony whereof I hereunto set my hand and seal or cause it to be done in the presence, the Witnesses, date above written: James M. Nicholson and Martha Jane Cooper (Witnesses). Ruth Reneau made her mark."
See notes and censuses for wives usually under their husband's page. Sorry, but it saves duplications.
William (m1:NancyReece m2:NancyPatton) EDMONDS b: BET 1806 AND 1807 in NC. No, he did NOT marry Margaret Reneau in Jefferson 13 Feb 1840. See http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/7820468/person/87684010
in DATE AND LOCATION UNKNOWN
- Tilman W. EDMONDS b: 3 MAR 1841 in TN per his Civil War pension application and all his censuses but one ((not BUG MUD CREEK, NC)) and we do NOT know it was Jefferson County!
- Elizabeth J EDMONDS b: 1844 in NC didn't marry Wm D Pruett -- didn't marry Bradley Pratt. Not proven.
- Sarah Catherine EDMONDS b: 1844
- Margaret (mFulton) EDMONDS b: BET 1847 AND JUL 1848 in TN
- Frances (mShewbert) EDMONDS b: BET 1847 AND 1849 in NC. No one knows real date. Censuses vs DC. Her first two match!