Name: Marcellus Jordan Moss
Birth: BET. 1772 - 1777 in Granville County, North Carolina
Death: NOV 1837 in Fincastle, Campbell County, Tennessee
1. Marcellus Moss was in Sumner County, Tennessee in 1803, as he signed two powers of attorney there which were recorded in Granville County, North Carolina
a. "7 Aug, 1803-John Mitchell appoints Hutching G. Burton, attorney (Mitchell of Sumner County, Tennessee) to sell negroes and stock he has in Granville County, North Carolina; recorded on oath of Thomas Reavis. Wts: Arsillus Moss, Robt. B. Mitchell.
b. "State of Tennessee, Sumner County, Aug. 7, 1803-Mary Burton of Sumner County, Tennessee appoints her son Hutchings G. Burton of Granville County, North Carolina, attorney, to sell her negroes (6 of them) she has in North Carolina. Wts: Mersellus Moss, Robt. B. Mitchell (Gwynn, Zae Hargtt, Abstracts of the Wills and Estate Records of Granville County, North Carolina 1746-1808, pub. by Joseph Watson, Rocky Mount, North Carolina, 1973, pp. 273-274. He was in Anderson County, Tennessee in 1805 (Early Tennessee Tax Lists).
1a.Merculus Moss was in Anderson County, Tennessee in 1805 (Sistler, Early Tennessee Tax Lists, 1977, pp. 145-146).
2. Settled in Powell's Valley, Tennessee ca. 1813? Date of first deed ____.
3. Marriage record-marriage bond issued 7 Sep 1807, Brunswick County, Virginia. Record is in index but actual bond not in Virginia State library nor in Brunswick County, Virginia.
4. WB A, 1837-1846, May Term, 1838, Claiborne County, Tennessee County Court, p. 15, An acct. of sales of the personal property of the estate of Marcellus Moss, died at his late residence in Claiborne County, Tennessee. Purchasers: Benjamin F. Moss, William T. Moss, Mary Moss, Martin B. Moss, Joshua Moss, Martin K. Moss.
(Note: Family information says Marcellus died of a heart attack at Fincastle, Tennessee which is in Campbell County His burial place is not known.
5. Claiborne County, Tennessee, WBA 1837-1846. Mary Moss Guardian Report for Marcillus, Rufus, Reuben, Jane, Charity Moss, minor heirs of Marcellus Moss, died 2 May 1842 (??).
6. From papers in possession of Mrs. William Elliot Kincaid, LaFollette, Tennessee, descendant of John Kincaid, admin. of Marcellus Jordan's Moss' (d. 1837) estate. "John Kincaid never destroyed a record. They were found in two very large "Gunny" sacks. We call them the SACKS. Olivia Brisbin (Mrs. John F.) a cousin, lives (now deceased, 1997) in Lansing, Michigan. She has seen the original papers. These are mostly receipts received by the heirs of Marcellus J. Moss and are signed in the handwriting of Martin Beatty Moss, B. J. Moss, Sophia Word and by M. J. Moss, William T. Moss, etc. One is as follows "One day after date I promise to pay John Kincaid (note JM: John Kincaid was his son-in-law, married daughter Elizabeth, daughter of M J and Olive Huff), twelve hundred and forty-six dollars and 2 sic. The Balance due and settlement of account, it being for value rec'd of him as witness my hand and seal this 23 day of April 1837. /s/ Marcellus Moss, Teste-James Willaby, /x/ his mark." Another document: "January the 28th, 1852, Then received of John Kincaid, the administrator of Marcellus Moss, dec'd, M. J. Moss, Rufus M. Moss, Reuben J. Moss, Jane R. Moss, Charity Ann Moss, $2,638, the Ballance of the dower (?) in our favor and against Polly Moss. Received by me this date above. by Marcellus J. Moss, Rufus M. Moss, Rheuben J. Moss, Jane R. Moss, Charity A. Moss." (date from Julia Nail Moss to Ida Jean Harp, 27 Aug 1989.)
(note JM: This date seems questionable, as Mary (Polly) Moss died in 1844.)
Please report corrections or additions to...
Jean H. Morford
23211 East Side Road
Willits, CA 95490-9734
Jean Morford has an alternate death location of Claiborne County, Tennessee.
Father: Reuben Eaton Benjamin Morse\Moss , Sr. b: ABT. 1737 in Sussex County, Virginia
Mother: Martha Ann Jordan b: ABT. 1744
7 SEP 1807
in Brunswick County, Virginia
- Mary Moss
- William Turner Moss b: 31 MAR 1809 in Claiborne County, Tennessee
- Sophia MacLeigh Jordan Moss b: 16 MAR 1811
- Benjamin F. Moss b: 19 FEB 1813 in Fincastle, Campbell County, Tennessee
- Elizabeth B. Moss b: 22 NOV 1814
- Franklin Moss b: 22 NOV 1814 in Claiborne County, Tennessee
- Martin Beatty Moss b: 14 DEC 1816 in Claiborne County, Tennessee
Mary Renfro b: 16 MAY 1796 in Grainger County, Tennessee
7 NOV 1822
in Knox County, Kentucky
- James Renfro Moss b: 15 OCT 1823 in Powell Valley, Claiborne County, Tennessee
- Marcellus Jordan Moss b: 28 DEC 1825 in Powell Valley, Claiborne County, Tennessee
- Rufus Morgan Moss b: 2 MAY 1827 in Powell Valley, Claiborne County, Tennessee
- Reuben Jordan Moss b: 16 JAN 1831 in Claiborne County, Tennessee
- Jane Moss b: 22 AUG 1834 in Claiborne County, Tennessee
- Charity Ann Moss b: 4 MAY 1837 in near Cumberland Gap, Claiborne County, Tennessee