Name: Elmer Cushing
Birth: 27 Jun 1762 in Shrewsbury, Worcester, Massachusetts 1 2
Death: 30 Jan 1833 in Stanstead, Quebec, Canada
In 1798, Elmer Cushing (1762 - 1833) removed with his family to Lower Canada in consequence of an offer from the Government, of twelve hundred acres of land a piece, to actual settlers, and settled in the township of Shipton, where Richmond now is. It was then an unbroken wilderness, and they went from Montreal up the St. Francis River in birch bark canoes conducted by Indians. In 1802 he erected both a grist mill and a saw mill, which were replaced in 1808 by more substantial ones. He built also the first pearl ash factory for the manufacture from wood ashes of black salts, potash or pearl ash.
Title: Elmer Cushing (1762 - 1833)
A tract of land lying within the district of Three Rivers, bounded north-east by Tingwick, south-east by Windsor, south-west by the St. Francis river which separated it from Melbourne, and north-west by Kingsey, was erected into a township named Shipton, and granted December 4th, 1801, to Elmer Cushing and his associates, viz, George Barnard, Elijah Hastings, Henry Barnard, Job Wetherel, Stephen Barnard, Lot Wetherel, Job Cushing, John Lester, Joseph Hicks, John Hicks, John Brockus, James Doying, Daniel Doying, John P.Cushing, James Barnard, Nathaniel Fessenden, J.B. LaBont'e, Amherst Leet, Ephraim Magoun, Charles Clarke, Thomas Hill, Joseph Keyser, Ephraim Magoun the younger, John Robinson, Theodore Barnard, Thomas Ellison, Benjamin Moulton, Joseph Perkins, David Leviston, Abner Rice, William Runlet, Jonathan Smith, Timothy Chamberlin, Daniel Blunt, Robert Green, Ephraim Blunt the younger, Amos Cutting, John Martin, Joseph Gamelin, John McLure, John Oakes, James Tobyne, and Baptiste McLure.
The first parties who entered the tract to survey and explore it were George Barnard, Prentice Cushing, John Brockus, Joseph Kilburn, and a company of workmen, who all came in on foot through the pathless wilds, bringing axes and surveying instruments, guns, ammunition, and provisions. They traced the outlines and made such divisions as were necessary to give the associates opportunity for location, which partial survey took place in 1797.
Elmer Cushing, the agent, settled on lot 16 in the fourteenth range, May 24th, 1798; and within the few succeeding years, many others chose locations in the vicinity, most of whom were from the New England States. At the time there were no roads or settlements for fifty miles to the north, and the nearest on the south, was one just commencing at Ascot about thirty miles distant.
The first road leading through Shipton was a line from the Little Forks in Ascot, to the French settlements, which was opened in 1802. The next was from the present site of Richmond to that of Danville, as settlements extended in that direction. The first mills were built by Elmer Cushing in 1802; part of the necessary irons for which were brought through Lake Champlain, down the Richelieu and St. Lawrence, and up the St.Francis; the remainder being obtained from a distant township, and brought to Shipton on a hand sleigh.
The surface of Shipton is somewhat hilly; the most prominent elevation being the Pinnacle, said to rise 300 feet above the surrounding country. The soil is favorable for agricultural purposes, grain and vegetables growing well, though it is said to be best adapted to grazing. The Nicolet river which runs through the north-east part is the largest stream of water, though there are others of sufficient size to carry mills.
Military: Elmer enlisted as a private in Capt. Ephraim Lyon's Co., Col. Wade's regt., 24 Jun 1778; and served on several occasions in the Revolutionary War.
Cushing, Elmer. Private, Capt. Ephraim Lyon's co.; enlisted June 24, 1778; discharged July 13,1778; service, 26 days, travel included, at Rhode Island; company joined Col.Wade's regt. June 22, 1778, for 21 days service; roll dated [p.288] Grafton; also, Capt. William Howe's co., Col. John Rand's regt.; enlisted July 17, 1780; discharged Oct. 10, 1780; service, 3 mos. 3 days, travel included; enlistment, 3 months.
Father: Job Cushing Jr , Colonel , Major b: 1 Jan 1728 in Shrewsbury, Worcester, Massachusetts
Mother: Lucy "Lucia" Stone b: 17 Jan 1727 in Framingham, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Lydia Hastings b: 17 Mar 1763 in Shrewsbury, Worcester, Massachusetts
5 Jun 1783
in Shrewsbury, Worcester, Massachusetts
- John Prentice Cushing b: 23 Oct 1783 in Shrewsbury, Worcester, Massachusetts
- Artemas Cushing b: 31 Jan 1786 in Shrewsbury, Worcester, Massachusetts
- Title: GENEALOGY OF THE CUSHING FAMILY
Author: James Stevenson Cushing
Publication: The Perrault Printing Co - Montreal, 1905; First Edition, 1877, by Lemuel Cushing (Finished by his family)
An account of the Ancestors and Descendants of Matthew Cushing who came to America in 1638
Page: pg 85, 168-169
- Title: FamilySearch: Ancestral File v4.19
Author: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Publication: 2008 Intellectual Reserve, Inc.