Reference Number: 47
Name: John Charles 'Charley' HOLMES
Change Date: 05 JUL 1998
Birth: 11 NOV 1811 in Hancock County, Mississippi
Death: 12 OCT 1890 in Buried: Farrsvile/Hines Cem., Newton Co., TX
"Kind father of love go to thy rest, to bask mid the joys of
thy blest. Forever."
In the first recorded census of Newton County, 1850, Emi Eliza
(Emmaline) and Charles Warner were living with Thomas Charles
'Goldie' Holmes, their grandfather. Mary Jane was living at
that time with W. H. J. Holmes, her uncle and John Charles
'Charley' was apparently living in the home of Jarvis W.
Depew, his nephew. Wonder if Mary Waterhouse had already died
prior to to the first census?
Father: Thomas Charles "Goldie" HOLMES b: 1759 in Wayne Co., North Carolina
Mother: Elizabeth JORDAN b: 1770 in Johnston Co., North Carolina
- Mary Jane HOLMES b: AUG 1835
- Emi Eliza 'Emmaline' HOLMES b: 1843 in Mississipii c: ABT 1843 in Newton Cnty. 1860 census
- Charles Warner HOLMES b: ABT 1846 in died young c: ABT 1846 in Newton Cnty. 1860 census
Mary Ann SMITH b: 21 NOV 1824 in Ohio c: in Tombstone Inscription: 'She was a kind and affectionate wife. A fond mother
02 JUN 1853
in Newton County, Texas - Marriage Book, Vol A. 1846-1850
- Sealing Spouse:
in 1900-1940 Newton Cnty. Marriage Records
- Catherine 'Kate' HOLMES
- Mary E. 'Mollie' HOLMES
- E.F. 'Tucker or Eddy' HOLMES b: 01 JAN 1854
- Thomas 'T.J.' HOLMES b: 17 JUL 1856 in Texas
- William H. HOLMES b: 28 MAR 1859 in Mississippi c: in Tombstone Inscription: ' Tho' lost to sight, to memory dear.'
- Harry H. 'Hamp' HOLMES b: OCT 1863