Name: Frances E. Wright WINCHESTER
Sex: F 1
Birth: 1829 in Memphis,Shelby Co., TN
Note: also death cert from Agnes
Death: 1867 in West Memphis, AR
Note: 1 3 3|
Change Date: 21 MAY 2003
Named after Francis WRIGHT, a Scottish refomer, who founded an experimental community, "Nashoba". He was a friend of Marcus and Amarante She and William were enumerated in the 1860 census in Mound City, AR. Hopefiled AR was destryed by flood during the Civil War.
Frances Wright, the founder of Nashoba, was a woman. She and her sister, Camilla were protegees of LaFayette and through him were introduced to Thomas Jefferson and thru him to Andrew Jackson. They visited the United States in 1818 and were very moved by the general acceptance of slavery. They bought land in 1825 near present day Memphis and started Neshoba (Indian word for Wolf) which was an experimental colony that wanted to find an alternative to slavery. Blacks were to be educated and taught philosophy of freedom. The work of building the colony took up more time than teaching its principles and it failed by 1828. The 31 slaves were transported to Haiti where they were set free. Frances (Fanny) married a D'Arsumont and had a duaghter named Sylva, who married a Guthrie. Marcus B. Winchester is considered locally to be the first Mayor of Memphis. Founders of Memphis are John Overton, Andrew Jackson and James Winchester. They!
all lived near Nashville and had fine homes which are all still there and open to the public for tours. They never moved to Memphis but sent numerous relatives here. Overton and Winchester had children. Jackson had no direct issue, but his wife's nephews and nieces came here. One of the Donnleson nieces married John C. McClemore, who bought Jackson's share of the land and is considered the fourth founder.
Father: Marcus Brutus WINCHESTER b: 28 MAY 1796 in Cragfont, Sumner Co., TN
Mother: Marie Louise Amerante Regis LOISELLE
William VANCE, JR. b: 1828 in Belfast Ireland
2 OCT 1846
in Shelby CO, TN
- Robert Moody VANCE b: 24 AUG 1848 in Baton Rouge, LA
- Lucy VANCE b: 26 AUG 1849 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Hopefield VANCE b: 11 JUL 1851 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Agnes VANCE b: 7 DEC 1853 in West Memphis, Crittenden, AR c: in Soundex: B200
- Frank Edgar VANCE b: 3 APR 1855 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Mary VANCE, JR. b: 1858
- May VANCE b: 28 APR 1859 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Arthur VANCE b: 4 AUG 1859 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Stonewall J. VANCE b: 4 DEC 1861 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- William VANCE II b: 19 MAR 1866 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- William VANCE b: 19 MAR 1866 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Frances W. VANCE b: in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Type: Book
Periodical: WINCHESTER-Descendants of William WINCHESTER
Author: Col. & Mrs. Louis Farrell
- Type: Death Cert.
Text: Shelby Co., TN death cert.
- Type: E-Mail Message
Author: Hunter Johnson
Date: 21 May, 2003