Name: William VANCE, JR. 1
Sex: M 2
Birth: 1828 in Belfast Ireland 2 3
Occupation: See Notes 4
HONO: Several Appoinments By The AR Govenor Such As, Assessor, Auditor, And Circuit Court Clerk.
Change Date: 21 FEB 2002
William, Jr. came to New Orleans abt 1827-28, which would have made him a child immigrant. He Worked as a clerk in a wholesale grocery house and then as a bookeeper in a New Orleans commission cotton house. He then located in memphis in a similar position with the Planter's Bank for about a year. He then crossed the MS River and began to farm his father in law's land (Marcus Winchester) until 1856, when he was made executor of Winchester's estate. In 1869, he purchased over 600 acres of bottom land across the MS River from Memphis where West Memphis, AR is now. He laid out the town of West Memphis, AR in 1870. In 1871, he divided the land amongst his children, and in 1881, he deeded it to them.
My grandmother, Valerie Williams told me about the above land and that Agnes Vance's second husband, although a good step-father had no head for business. He apparently lost the land.
Father: William VANCE b: 1776 in Belfast, Ireland
Mother: Mary SMALL b: in Ireland
Frances E. Wright WINCHESTER b: 1829 in Memphis,Shelby Co., TN
2 OCT 1846
in Shelby CO, TN
- Robert Moody VANCE b: 24 AUG 1848 in Baton Rouge, LA
- Lucy VANCE b: 26 AUG 1849 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Hopefield VANCE b: 11 JUL 1851 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Agnes VANCE b: 7 DEC 1853 in West Memphis, Crittenden, AR c: in Soundex: B200
- Frank Edgar VANCE b: 3 APR 1855 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Mary VANCE, JR. b: 1858
- May VANCE b: 28 APR 1859 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Arthur VANCE b: 4 AUG 1859 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Stonewall J. VANCE b: 4 DEC 1861 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- William VANCE II b: 19 MAR 1866 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- William VANCE b: 19 MAR 1866 in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Frances W. VANCE b: in Hopefield, Crittenden Co., AR
- Type: Book
Periodical: WINCHESTER-Descendants of William WINCHESTER
Author: Col. & Mrs. Louis Farrell
- Type: Book
Periodical: History of eastern AR
Publication: Vanity Press 1890
- Type: Death Cert.
Text: Shelby Co., TN death cert.
Text: from daughter Agnes' cert
- Text: 1850 Arkansas census, Jasper Township, Crittenden Co., AR. Dwelling 61