Name: Jonathan Sr. CROSIER
Given Name: Jonathan Sr.
Death: 1799 in Salem,New York
LDS Baptism: 18 AUG 1995 Temple: SEATTLE TEMPLE, WASHINGTON USA
Endowment: 22 NOV 1997 Temple: SEATTLE TEMPLE, WASHINGTON USA
Will: 8 MAY 1797 Salem,Washington County,New York 1
Military 1776 New York 2
Deed 1770 Washington County,New York 3
Deed 7 MAY 1777 Salem,Washington County,New York 4
Occupation: 14 FEB 1787 Washington County,Argyle Twp,New York 5
property 6 JUL 1812 Washington County,New York 6
Change Date: 26 JUL 1999 at 20:22:09
2 DATE 6 JUL 1812
2 PLAC Washington County, New York
2 SOUR S4625
3 PAGE 154
4 TEXT John and Agnes Crosier sold land to James Wilson, For more info check page 194
According to information gathered by Edward Crozier of Burnsville, MNthere is some confusion about the family name in the late 1700's as itcould have been Crossett, Crozier or Crosier. There is also confusionabout first names. There is a note in the History of Washinton Co., NYthat says that Samuel Crozier's homestead was part of property owned byThomas Steele in 1878 and that sons WIlliam Crozier had settled on thehomestead. John in Jackson, and a daughter was Mrs. William Thompson ofSalem. These names for the children are the same names mentioned in acourthouse record for a will for John Crozer dated May 6, 1797. It wasprobated December 3, 1799. It lists wife Agnes, Sons: John, WIlliam andJames. Daughters: Jane and Mary. Therefore, we think this John Crozeris John Sr. and also Samuel Crossett. There are several other earlierrecords of Samuel Crossett in the History of Washington County but noneof any Crosier or Crozier.
The History of Washington COunty, NY states that a John Crosier has a pewin Rev. Proudfit's church. This church was formerly Dr. Crark's who hadbrought his congregation of Scottish decendants from Monaghan andBililbay Ireland about 1761-1765. William McFarland and Andrew Lytle whowere signatures of John Croser's 1797 Will also had pews in the samechurch. Thomas Steel was also a witness to the will. Andrew Lytle'sbrother, John, was know as a member of Dr. Clark's originalcongregation. McFarland A. Lytel and Thomas Steel were also listed alongwith John Crossett, John Jr. and James Crossett as landowners during theRevolutionary War in the Salem area.
In the 1790 census there was a Creiser in Salem, NY. This is believed tobe John Crosier Sr. Other census show Croziers' in Washington Co. asfollows : 1800-Jacob (Salem) John (Salem) and James. 1810-William(Salem) 820- James with 9 children 9Argyle) John (Jackson) 1825-Jameswith 10 children (Argyle), 1835- James with 5 children, John & Jamesmarried w/ no children all in Argyle. 1850- John and Agnes( Jackson) whowas probably the widow of John Jr. Agnes later joined her son, William T.in Henry Co, Ill and died there in 1861.
The Crosier family history was described by John K. Crosier to Dr. FitchJr. on April 10, 1868. Dr. Fitch collected oral histories as part of acounty survey during 1845-1879. John K said that John Crosier. Sr camefrom ireland. he owned a tavern in Albany, NY. He bought lot 225 ofTurner's plot in Salem. he lost the tavern before the Revolutionary Warand moved to the lot in Salem and died there. he bought lot 225 ofTurner's point by taking title from Dr. Clark. Lot 225 is about 2 milessouth of Salem, NY. He had three sons: John, William and James, twodaughters: Mrs. William Thomspson and Mrs. James McMorris. These arethe same names as mentioned earlier as children of Samuel and or JohnCrozer.
William lost the farm as a result of a lowsuit over his horse breaking aleg on a poorly mantained bridge. The earlier Washington Conuty Historyalso says that william lieven on the homestead. William later moved toErie, PA and there died. John Jr. married Agnes, daughter of JohnKimmis, on a part of whose famr he lived in Jackson near Shushan. Agneswas also the name of John Sr's wife according to the 1797 Will. John Jr'sson William Tecumpse Crosier married Eliza Hogel and moved to Sharon,Henry Co, Illinois in 1839. His mother, Agne, was burried in Illinois in1861. James married Susan Mills of Argyle, NY and in 1848 he moved toWisconsin and there died. jane married old William Thompson and lived onlot 145. The other daughter married old James McMorris of Jackson, nearShushan. These children's names are consistent with the 1797 Will andthe Washington County History reference to Samuel's homestead.
John Crosier married Agnes Darrich in the Elizabeth Presbyterian Churchrecords. There is a John Crosier in the Elizabeth First Pres. Graveyard,died in the 1850's.
According to Emmie Lou Chandler from Ellie Burch John Sr. was born onthe Isle of Man in 1784 and is buried in the 1st Pres. Church graveyardin 1859 This is not confirmed information but speculation
The Washington county church was built in 1797 and still stands. John'swife is listed as owning a pew in the church. She is listed as the WidowCrosier on a floor plan of the church. This pew as it is described ismore like a section of the church but the original contributed $100.00for the building of the church.
This church was the first church erected by the Scotch Presb. Everybodymet in it. Rev. was came British burned it becasue they used thetimbers for a church they were building on the side of the white churchfor fortifications for the church. Boys withdrew to Bennington andkicked some British butt with General Stark Eathen Allen and friends fromNH Malitia. White church Scotch people and others erected 1797/1798John Crosier Sr. was a pew owner in 1855 the new England Presb. wentback to the site of the orginalchurch and erected the brick church. 1880or so the scotch prebs. and the new englanders make friends again andthey all go to the church in the white church. The brick church is nowthe Fort Salem Theatre.
Jonh Sr. came to Washington County, New York from greenbush a suburb ofAlbany in 1770 and purchased his property. (Ron Crosier)
John Sr. was an administrator delegate to the committee of public safetythat raised the malitia. In 1778 he was at Ft.Skyler (Sp) gettingtreated for VD.
The second thing the people from Ckark's church built was a school housein 1765. They were learned to a degree because John Crosier Sr. wouldn'thave been selected for the positions he was in here if he was the villageidiot. James might possibly be a graduate of the Washington Academybecause he was an officer in the malitia at Ft. Edward.
George Pataki now owns the land that use to be John Crosier Sr.
Ledgend: There was a stone for John Crosier in the Revolutionary Warpart of the Old Salem Cemetary, Washington County, New York. that hedied 1798 and there are people in the town who remember seeing it here.But the inventory done recently by the school kids does not show it asexhisting. According to Ron Crozier of Glenns Falls he remebers a stonethere and an article in the newspaper/ Letter to the editor thatquestioned where it had gone because the previous person claimed it wasremoved.
John Senioers real name is Jonathan evidence is the Grand Jury of 1786list page 64.
A deed executed by John Crosier in 1783: John was living in New Perth,(Salem) Charlotte County, (Washington County, New York and he was sellinga lot and house in Albany, NY that he acquired in 1777. On the deed hiswife's affidavit states her madien name as Agnes Sarah Darrock ( a goodclue as to how they pronounced it)
Early 1760's- A John Crosier, Sr. reportedly came from Ireland with hiswife, Agnes Sarah Darrgh Crosier along with her sister, Mary Darrgh andpossibly their mother, Sarah Darrgh. It is possible that they came withDr. Clark's Presbyterian Congregation from Ballibay, Ireland as someCrosiers ( a Samuel and Hutchinson) reportedly came with Dr. Clark. (According to Ellie Burch, a Kimmis family historian) John K. Crosiertold historian Dr. Asa Fitch in 1868 that John K Crosier's father andgrandfather came from Ireland so that tends to support the idea that JohnSr. was married at the time he emigrated.
1770- A John Crosier was involded in a land transfer in the GreenBush/Albnay, Turner Plot ( source unknown)
1770- John Crosier purchased Lot 245 from a McWhorter. Registered in1785 or 1786 ( according to Mike Crosier )
1776- Following the Revolutionary War individuals certified that theyactually resided on land in the Salem area during the War. A JohnCrossett certified that he resided on Lots 134, 242,& 245. John CrosserrJr. on lots 66, 67 and James Crossett on lot 80. These certificatesmust be interpreted liberlly as itmight mean that a son was allowed toprovide proff of his father's residence or a subsequent purchaser mightbe premitted to do so as a legal successor of an original proprietor.The Crossett ownership is mentioned here because there are also recordsthat the John Crosier Sr. owned lots 242 and 245 indicating that theseCrossett records might actually be Crosier/Crozier records ( pg 123Washington County History Book)
1776- According to an oral interview with Dr. Asa Fitch in 1868 a John KCrosier said that his grandfather, John Crosier Sr. owned lot 225, Hemay have been mistaken and ment 242 or 245
1777- A deed executed by John Crosier in 1783: he was living in NewPerth, Charlotte COunty, and he is selling a lot and house in Albanythat he acquired in 1777. On the deed, his wife's affidavit states hermadien name as Agnes Sarah Darrock ( found by contracted genealogist inAlbany)
1786- Johnathan Crozier listed as a Charlotte County Grand Juror ( pg 64Washington County History Book)
Washington County History Book page 128 the Samuel Crozier's namerefered to there is Jonathan Crosier Sr. AKA ( John Sr)
Mother: Martha HAMILTON
- Sealing Spouse:
2 DEC 1997
in SEATTLE TEMPLE, WASHINGTON, USA
- Note: 1 REFN 2210
- James CROSIER b: 1778 in New York c: 28 NOV 1778 in 1st Dutch Ref. Church,Albany,Albany County,New York
- William CROSIER
- John Junior CROSIER b: 1787 in Washington County,New York
- Jean Jane CROSIER
- Mary CROSIER
- Title: Will of John Crosier
Abbrev: Will of John Crosier
- Title: Michael Crosier
Abbrev: Michael Crosier
Page: e mail
Text: Big John shows up on the rolls of the first New York Malitia in Albany in 1776.
- Title: Title Deed
Abbrev: Title Deed
Text: John Sr. gets his land Lot 245 from a McWhorter in 1770. The deed was not registered until 1785 and is one of the first few registered with the county clerk.
- Title: Washington County, New York Deeds
Abbrev: Washington County, New York Deeds
Text: john spelled his name John Crozier when he purchases this property he is living in Salem, Washington County
- Title: Minute of Town Meetings 1779 to 1835
Abbrev: Minute of Town Meetings 1779 to 1835
Page: Micrfilm roll 56 #38
Text: Path Masters shows John Crosier served as one in 1787 and was appointed February 14, 1787
- Title: Washington County, New York Deeds
Abbrev: Washington County, New York Deeds
Page: page 154
Note: John and Agnes Crosier sold land to James Wilson, for more info check page 194
Date: 6 JUL 1812