Name: Lydia Perkins
Given Name: Lydia
Death: in Shrewsbury, Monmouth Co., New Jersey
! (1) "Genealogical Dictionary of Maine and New Hampshire," by Sybil Noyes, Charles Thornton Libby, and Walter Goodwin Davis (Genealogical Pub. Co., Baltimore, 1988; reprint 1928-1939) p.542,719.
Change Date: 3 Dec 1998 at 00:00:00
(2) "Wardwell Family," by Amy Chase Loftin, "The Connecticut Nutmegger," Vol. II, No. 1, Jun 1978, p.20. Cites: (a) "Thomas Wardwell, Shoemaker and Puritan," by Minnie H. Wardwell. (b) "Massachusetts Historical Society Proceedings," Vol. 18:390, 1st series. (c) James Savage IV:415.
(3) "History of Newbury, Massachusetts, 1635-1902," by John J. Currier (Damrell & Upham, Boston, 1902) p.315.
! Birth: (1) d/o Isaac PERKINS/Susanna.
Marriage to Eliakim WARDWELL: (1) 17 Oct 1659. (2)
(1) 1663: She and her husband were fined for absence from meeting 20 days.
(3) 1663, 5 May: Lydia (PERKINS) WARDWELL, wife of Eliakim WARDWELL, of Hampton, NH, came naked into the new meeting house at Newbury, MA, to answer those who accused her of teaching false doctrines and separating herself from the church. For this offence she was ordered to be severely whipped and pay the cost and fees of the court at Salem. (1) 1663, May: She was ordered whipped for going into Newbury (MA) Meeting House naked. (2b) She was summoned by the church of which she had been a member to answer a charge of non-attendance. She obeyed the call by appearing in the unclothed condition of the sufferers whom she had seen under the constable's whip. She was taken to Ipswich (MA) and stripped to the waist, tied to a rough post, which tore her bosom as she writhed under the lash, and she was "lashed to the satisfaction of the crowd of onlookers."
(1) As Quakers, Eliakim WARDWELL and his wife encountered trouble. (2) They became Quakers and were so persecuted, whipped and fined for the beliefs that they then went to Shrewsbury, NJ, after they had been reduced to almost destitution by persecution. (1) Made a new home in NJ.
(1) 1670: Of Shrewsbury, NJ.
Father: Isaac Perkins c: 26 Jan 1611/1612 in Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England
Mother: Susanna b: ABT 1618 in Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England
Eliakim Wardwell c: 23 Nov 1634 in Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts
17 Oct 1659
in Hampton, Rockingham Co., New Hampshire
- Joseph Wardwell b: 29 Dec 1660 in Hampton, Rockingham Co., New Hampshire
- William Wardwell b: in Hampton, Rockingham Co., New Hampshire
- Margaret Wardwell b: 23 May 1664 in Hampton, Rockingham Co., New Hampshire
- Elizabeth Wardwell
- Esther Wardwell
- Lydia Wardwell
- Mary Wardwell
- Meribah Wardwell
- Patience Wardwell
- Eliakim Wardwell