Name: Titus Brown
Given Name: Titus
Birth: 11 Feb 1786 in Alstead, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire
Death: 29 Jan 1849 in Francestown, Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire
Burial: Mill Village Cemetery, Francestown, Hillsborough Co., New Hampshire
! (1) "History of Francestown, New Hampshire," by Rev. W.R. Cochrane and George K. Wood (1895) p.545-546. FHL #974.28/F1 H2c.
Change Date: 31 Oct 2012 at 01:00:00
FILE: C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\PAF\Portraits\Brown, Titus.jpg
Title: Brown, Titus
FILE: Tombstones\Brown, Titus, Jerusha.jpg
Title: Tombstones, Titus, Jerusha Brown
(2) NH Index to deaths, early to 1900. FHL #1,001,060. Cites Vol. 2, death of Emily Hutchinson Bradford.
(3) Hillsborough Co., NH Probate Records, Wills, Vol. 57, 1848-1856, p.59. FHL #16,096.
(4) Census Indexes, Accelerated Indexing System (AIS), NH, 1820 (p.830); 1830 (p.471); 1837; 1840 (p.291).
(5) "Biographical Directory of the American Congress, 1774-1949," p.902.
(6) New Hampshire Death Records 1654-1947. Film 1001063 (https://familysearch.org, 2012).
(7) New Hampshire Births and Christenings 1714-1904. Index, film 1000488 (https://familysearch.org, 2012).
! Birth: (1) s/o Elias BROWN Jr./Rebecca KEYES; gs/o Elias BROWN Sr./Abigail OLCOTT. (6) s/o Elias BROWN/Rebecca KEYES. (7) s/o Elias BROWN/Rebecca. (1,5,7) 11 Feb 1786. (6) Age 61y 11m 18d at death on 29 Jan 1849 [b. 11 Feb 1787]. (1,2,5,6) Alstead, NH. (7) Alstead Twp., Cheshire Co., NH.
Death: (1,5,6) 29 Jan 1849. (1,5) At his home in Francestown, NH. (6) Francestown, NH. (3) Will dtd 28 Dec 1848, probate 6 Feb 1849, Francestown, Hillsborough Co., NH.
Burial: (1) He wrote the words that appear on his tombstone: "When I shall fade, may friendship's tear, Like dew upon my grave be shed: Soft may it fall upon my bier, and consecrate my lonely bed. And when e'en friends shall not survive, The swift and certain scythe of time, O may that friendship then survive, and flourish in a happier clime." (5) Mill Village Cemetery. (6) Francestown, NH.
(1,5) 1811: Graduated from Middlebury College, VT.
(5) Studied law.
(1,5) 1814: Commenced the practice of law. (2) Lawyer. (5) Commenced practice in Reading, VT.
(1,5) 1817: Came to Francestown, NH. (1) Doubtless from Reading, VT, as the successor to Judge WOODBURY, who had removed to Portsmouth. (NOTE: See notes under Levi WOODBURY.) He displayed a deep knowledge of the law. (5) Continued the practice of law.
(4) 1820: Titus BROWN living in Francestown, Hillsborough Co., NH.
(1,5) 1820-1825: (1) Was a member of the State Legislature. Was made President of the Senate. (5) Member of the State House of Representatives.
(1) 1823-1830: (1,5) Was Solicitor of Hillsboro County. (5) 1823-1825 and 1829-1834.
(5) 1825, 4 Mar: Representative from NH. Elected to the 19th Congress. Served through the 20th Congress, 3 Mar 1829. Not a caondidate for reelection in 1828. (1) 1825-1829: He was sent as a Representative from NH to the 19th & 20th U.S. Congress.
(4) 1830: Titus BROWN living in Francestown, Hillsborough Co., NH.
(4) 1837: Titus BROWN living in Francestown, Hillsborough Co., NH.
(4) 1840: Titus BROWN living in Francestown, Hillsborough Co., NH.
(5) 1842: Member of the State Senate and served as its President in 1842.
(1,5) He was for a number of years Chairman of the Boards of Bank and Railroad Commissioners, and held this position at his death.
(1) He had success in business and was a prominent citizen. "He took a highminded interest in both religious and the secular affairs" of Francestown. During the entire period in which Francestown was a place of growth, prosperity and importance, he was the central figure in the evolution of its politics and public measures generally.
(3) 1848, 28 Dec: Titus BROWN of Francestown, Hillsborough Co., NH, wrote his will. Gives to son Linsley K. BROWN and daughter Emily H. BRADFORD, wife of Thomas BRADFORD, all his real estate and residual estate. Gives wife Jerusha BROWN household provisions, utensils and furniture and $100 annually as long as she remains his widow. Names executors Linsley K. BROWN and Thomas B. BRADFORD. Wits. Paul H. BIXBY, Jas. H. CROMBIE and Samuel D. DOWNS.
(6) 1849, Jan: Occupation at death, lawyer. Married.
(3) 1849, 6 Feb: Will presented to probate court of Hillsborough Co., NH.
Father: Elias Brown Jr. b: 17 Aug 1758 in Tolland, Tolland Co., Connecticut
Mother: Rebecca Keyes (Keys) b: 8 Jan 1765 in Uxbridge, Worcester Co., Massachusetts
Jerusha C. Hutchinson b: 24 Jun 1786 in Pomfret, Windsor Co., Vermont
- Linsley Keyes Brown b: 31 Jul 1815 in Alstead, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire
- Emily Hutchinson Brown b: 15 Dec 1816 in Reading, Windsor Co., Vermont