Name: John McCue
Given Name: John
Birth: 8 May 1753 in , Albemarle Co., Virginia
Death: 20 Sep 1818 in , Rockbridge Co., Virginia
Burial: 22 Sep 1818 Tinkling Spring Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Augusta Co., Virginia
! (1) "The Tinkling Spring: Headwater of Freedom 1732-1952," by Howard Wilson (1954), FHL 975.591 K2w, p.238-242, 252-255. Cites: (a) "The McCues of the Old Dominion," by John N. McCue (Missouri Printing and Pub. Co., Mexico, MO, 1912) p.11, 13, 15, 39. (b) Pilson, Oct 1876.
Change Date: 1 Jul 2010 at 01:00:00
FILE: Tombstones\McCue, John 1818, Tinkling Spring Cem, Augusta Co, VA.JPG
Title: Tombstone, Rev John McCue, Tinkling Spring Ch Cem, Augusta Co., VA
(2) Tombstone, Tinkling Spring Presbyterian Church Cemetery, Augusta Co., VA.
(3) "The McDowell Walker Project," by Walker (http://wc.rootsweb.com, walker9th database, 24 Jan 2010). Cites: (a) "History of Augusta County, Virginia," by John Lewis Preston (Samuel M. Yost & Son, Staunton, VA, 1882).
! Birth: (1a) s/o John McCUE, Gent./Eleanor MATTHEWS. Brother of Maj. Moses McCUE. (1a,3a) 8 May 1753. (2) In his 65th year at death in 1818 [b. 1753]. (1a) Nelson Co., VA. [NOTE: Nelson Co., was created 1808 from Amherst Co., which was created 1761 from Albemarle Co.]
Marriage to Elizabeth ALLEN: (1) "About the time he completed his theological studies in 1781 or 1782." (3) Abt. 1782.
Death: (1a,2) Sunday morning. (1a,2,3a) 20 Sep 1818. (1a) "The family having preceded him to church, in the regular manner, Mr. McCUE mounted his horse for the Sabbath ride to the house of worship where he was to preach that morning." He was thrown from his horse near his own gate and died. (3a) Rockbridge Co., VA.
Burial: (1b) Tues, 22 Sep 1818. (1b,2) Old Tinkling Spring Cemetery, Augusta Co., VA. (1b) An attendant wrote, "From the large connection of Mrs. McCUE, and the intimacy of Mr. McCUE and the Rev. Wm. WILSON, pastor of Augusta Church, nearly the whole congregation with Tinkling Spring and Waynesboro came to the funeral. It was the largest funeral procession I ever saw, all on horseback, and was said to be five hundred. I don't think there was a single carriage in the procession, or any vehicle; but I think, a two-wheeled one which carried Mr. McCUE. Rev. Dr. C. SPEECE preached the funeral sermon at the church..."
(1) Studied under Rev. Mr. LEAKE.
(1) Studied under Mr. IRVINE.
(1) Studied theology under Rev. Dr. James WADDEL, Tinkling Spring pastor, at Springhill.
(1) 1782, 22 May: Was licensed to the gospel ministry by Hanover Presbytery at Timber Ridge.
(1) 1783, Aug: Was ordained.
(1) Worked at Camp Union near Lewisburg and Good Hope in Green Brier.
(1) 1785: Received an A.B. degree from Liberty Hall Academy.
(1) 1790: Elected moderator of the Lexington Presbytery.
(1) 1791, Apr: Took on the congregation at Tinkling Springs, Staunton, VA when he was on a visit to his friends. At the meeting of the Lexington Presbytery, he was dismissed from the Green Brier church and assigned to "take pastoral charge of the Church of Tinckling Spring and the Inhabitants of Staunton."
(1) Was pastor at Tinkling Spring for 27 years. (3) Pastor of Tinkling Spring Church.
(1) 1792, Apr: The Moderator of Lexington Presbytery, Rev. Edward CRAWFORD, reported in Rev. McCUE's absence that he had sung a hymn in public worhip that contained "erroneous sentiments", and further that he had joined the Masonic Lodge. He was ordered to answer these charges before their next meeting, 18 Sep 1792, at Harrisonburg, VA, to answer the charges, which he did to their satisfaction.
(1) 1796: Elected moderator of the Lexington Presbytery.
(1) 1798: Elected moderator of the Lexington Presbytery.
(1) 1804: Was commissioner or alternate to the General Assembly.
(1) 1807: Elected moderator of the Lexington Presbytery.
(1) 1812: Elected moderator of the Lexington Presbytery.
(1) 1817: Elected moderator of the Lexington Presbytery. Was commissioner or alternate to the General Assembly.
(1a) Had 11 children.
Father: John McCue b: ABT 1715 in , Ulster, Ireland
Mother: Eleanor Matthews b: ABT 1729 in , Goochland Co., Virginia
Elizabeth "Betsy" Allen b: 9 Nov 1761 in , Augusta Co., Virginia
in , Augusta Co., Virginia
- Mary C. McCue b: 1785
- James A. McCue
- John McCue Esq. b: 17 Feb 1793
- Franklin McCue (McCune) b: 28 Sep 1795 in , Rockbridge Co., Virginia
- William McCue b: in , Rockbridge Co., Virginia
- Elizabeth McCue b: 15 Sep 1798 in , Augusta Co., Virginia
- Cyrus McCue
- Sarah Ann "Sallie" McCue b: 1804 in , Rockbridge Co., Virginia