Name: Diana Goring
Death: AFT 1699 1
Residence: 66 Great Queen St, St. Giles in the Fields, London
Note: 2 1|
Change Date: 22 MAY 2008
George Porter was her 2nd husband, after Thomas Covert (b 1618, d 1658), son of Walter Covert of Slaugham, Sussex, and Ann Covert, by whom she had Diana, m Robert Baynham, and Ann.
Presumably she is the Diana Porter who is referred to in "My Lady Diana Porter's Scotch Collops", in Sir Kenelm Digby?s recipe book of 1665 or earlier:
Cut a leg or two of Mutton into thin slices, which beat very well. Put them to fry over a very quick fire in a pan first glased over, with no more Butter melted in it, then just to besmear a little all the bottom of the Pan. Turn them in due time. There must never be but one row in the pan, nor any slice lying upon another; but every one immediate to the pan. When they are fryed enough, lay them in a hot dish covered, over a Chafing-dish, and pour upon them the Gravy that run out of them into the Pan. Then lay another row of slices in the Pan to fry as before; and when they are enough, put them into the dish to the other. When you have enough, by such repetitions, or by doing them in two or three pans, all at a time; take a Porrenger full of Gravy of Mutton, and put into it a piece of Butter as much a Wall-nut, and a quartered Onion if you will (or rub the dish afterwards with Garlike) and Pepper and Salt, and let this boil to be very hot; then throw away the Onion, and pour this into the dish upon the slices, and let them stew a little together; then squeese an Orange upon it, and serve it up.
From 1673 to 1700 Lady Diana Porter lived at 66 Great Queen Street, St Giles in the Fields, London.
(Footnote on p 109, Court Satires of the Restoration, By John Harold Wilson.)
Father: George Goring b: 28 APR 1585
Mother: Mary Neville
George Porter b: 1620 in Woodhall, Hertfordshire
- Mary Porter
- Type: Book
Periodical: Court Satires of the Restoration
Author: John Harold Wilson
- Text: Rev Canon J.H. Cooper Vicar of Cuckfield
Sussex Archaeological Collection XLVI and XLVII, 1903