Name: Henry De Ferrers
Birth: ABT 1036 in Ferrieres, Normandy, France
Death: 1088 in Tutbury Castle, Staffordshire, England
Burial: Tutbury Castle, Staffordshire, England
Change Date: 27 MAY 2009
Henry Ferrers, son of Walchelin, assumed the name from Ferriers, a small town of Gastinois, in France, otherwise called Ferrieres, from the iron mines with which that country abounded, and, in allusion to the circumstance, he bore for his arms "six horses' shoes," either from the similitude of his cognomen to the French Ferrier, or because the seigneurie produced iron, so essential to the soldier and cavalier in those rude times when war was esteemed the chief business of life, and the adroit management of the steed, even amongst the nobility, the first of accomplishments. Henry de Ferrers came into England with the Conqueror and obtained a grant of Tutbury Castle, in the county of Stafford. According to Stapleton, he was ancestor of the Oakham house of Ferrers, whose memory is preserved by the horseshoes hanging in the hall of their castle. He m. Bertha -----, and had issue, Robert, his heir; Eugenulph, who d. s. p.; and Walkelin, of Radbourne. [John Burke, Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland, Vol. III, R. Bentley, London, 1834-1838, p. 127, Ferrers, of Baddesley Clinton]
The first of this eminent family that settled in England was Henry de Feriers, son of Walcheline de Feriers, a Norman, who obtained from William the Conqueror a grant of Tutbury Castle, co. Stafford, with extensive possessions in other shires, of which 114 manors were in Derbyshire. This person must have been of considerable rank, not only from these enormous grants, but from the circumstances of his being one of the commissioners appointed by the Conqueror to make the great survey of the kingdom. He was the founder of the Cluniac priory at Tutbury which he liberally endowed. By Berta his wife he had issue, Egenulph, d. v. p.; William, d. v. p.; Robert, his successor; Gundred; and Emmeline. [Bernard Burke, Dormant and Extinct Peerages, Burke's Peerage, London, 1883, p. 196, Ferrers, Earls of Derby]
Held the Castle Of Tutbury. Companion of William The Conqueror.
* Note: Became a major land holder, almost all of the hundred ofAppletree in Derbyshire. He was granted 210 manors and lordships throughout England and Wales by Duke William "The Conqueror" forhis cospicuous bravery and support at the Battle of Hastings.114 of these were in Derbyshire and much of Nottingham overwhich he held virtual rule. The family became the Earls of both Derby and Nottingham.
* Note: Henry, son of Walchlin, assumed the name of Ferrers, a smalltown in Gastinois, in France, otherwise calles Ferrieres, fromthe iron mines with which that country abounded, and, inallusion to the circumstance, he bire fro his arms " 6 horses'shoes".
* Note: He was the founder of the Cluniac Priory at Tutbury which he liberally endowed
Father: Walchelin de Ferrers
Bertha Roberts b: ABT 1040 in Gostenois, Normandy, France
in Normandy, France
- Robert De Ferrers
- Engenulf de Ferrers b: ABT 1065 in Ferrieres, Normandy, France