Name: Giles Daubeney
Birth: in Outside Britain
Death: 24 JUN 1386 1
Residence: South Petherton, Somerset
MEM: South Ingleby, Lincs: effigy thought to be him
Change Date: 29 SEP 2007
The NORTH CHANCEL of Saxilby with Ingilby church, Lincolnshire, is known as the DAUBENEY CHAPEL, as it was probably the Chantry of the family, descended from William de Albini who fought among the Norman invaders at Hastings in 1066.
The D'Aubigny or Daubeney family held land at Ingleby until 1483, and was responsible for the enlargement of the little Norman church in the 14th and 15th centuries. On a tomb-chest of that period lie the figures of a knight and his lady in alabaster, the former identified as a D'Aubigny by the faint outline of the coat of alms on his chest armour. The effigies have been dated by experts not later than 1390, and they may commemorate Sir Giles Daubeney, who died in 1386, and Lady Alianore, who died in 1400. Almost certainly the effigies were brought from the private chapel at North Ingleby after it fell into disuse, and placed here on an existing tomb-chest. The entire monument was removed in 1993 for cleaning and conservation by Harrison Hill Ltd. at a cost of £10,500. The monument was rededicated by the Bishop of Lincoln in 1994, in the presence of members of the Daubeney family, who made a considerable contribution towards the restoration.
The Daubeney arms also appear on the font which dates from the same period as the Nave, and most of the other arms on it belong to families which had marriage connections with the D'Aubignys. They are thought to be (reading from the east side anti-clockwise): Bigod, D'Aubigny, Tibetot, Umfraville, St. Liz, Folliot, Pigot or Pickworth and Blake.
Father: Ralph Daubeney b: 3 MAR 1305
Mother: Alice Montagu
Alianore De Wilington
- Giles Daubeney b: ABT NOV 1370
- Katherine Daubeney b: ABT 1365
- Maud Daubeney b: in Barrington, Somerset
- Type: Book
Periodical: Burke?s LG
Date: 18th Edition