Name: Agatha le Dennis
Change Date: 11 JAN 2009
Sister and heir of Sir Robert de le Dennis or Dacus. (Robert d 1305).
Collaton St Mary:
Through the years the name of the village changed many times from Collaton Clavil to Coletone, to Coleton Clavill to Collaton Kirkham and finally to Collaton St Mary, when it became an ecclesiastical parish.
The village is first mentioned in the Domesday Book, when it was classed as a sub-manor of the Manor of Peintona. In 1166 Alan de Furneaux held Collaton as his fee from the Lord Bishop of Exeter. When the above mentioned Alan died, John de Blakedon paid 100 shillings for the relief of the land of Coletone.
For over 400 years, members of two families held the lands of Collaton and nearby Blagdon. The Deneis [Denys] family until about 1292, when the estate passed to Robert le Deneis' daughter Agatha who was married to Nicholas Kirkham of Ascombe.
The name of the village then changed to Collaton Kirkham in the honour of the family who lived there through 11 generations.
1630 saw the Kirkham rule over Collaton and Blagdon end with the death of Richard Kirkham.
A Sir Robert Deneis is mentioned on p29 of The Book of Manaton: Portrait of a Dartmoor Parish, 1999.
Father: Henry Dennis
- Nicholas Kirkham
- Type: Book
Periodical: Worthies of Devon
Author: John Prince