Name: Margaret Douglas
Change Date: 17 MAY 2001
The terms of the marriage contract were arranged at St. Andrews on 17th April, and on the following day the Archbishop of St. Andrews granted to John Wemyss and his future spouse the lands of Methil, which, with others in the vicinity, and the office of bailie of the river Leven, his father had resigned for the purpose, and these lands and that office were united and erected into the barony of Methil. Methil was still at this time in the possession of Mariota Towers as her liferent portion; so in warrandice thereof David wemyss granted to his son and future daughter-in-law the lands of Tillybreak, Little Lun, and Cameron-mill. From the lands of Tillybreak, in the parish of Markinch, Sir John Wemyss derived the designation ?Sir John Wemyss of Tillybreak,? by which he was known during his father?s lifetime, though he is also styled ?younger of Wemyss.?
Father: William Douglas b: ABT 1540
Mother: Agnes Leslie
John Wemyss b: 1557