Name: William de Sutton 1
Death: BEF 1319
Change Date: 18 OCT 2011
The manor of Batayles fell to the share of Margery and William, whose son John succeeded his father by 1318.
In 1305 William de Sutton, lord of Battles Hall in Stapleford Abbots, who also held land in Lambourne, was granted licence to fell and sell the great trees and underwood of 7 acres in his wood of Lambourne, Essex, which was within the Forest of Essex, as it appeared that there was not a frequent resort of the deer there. This grant was made to enable him to pay his debts at the Exchequer.
In 1254 the patron of Theydon de Monte was Sir William de Sutton, heir of John de Lexeton, who bought the right of patronage with the manor.
(The Essex review, Volume 54?. 1945. Page 35)
William de Sutton (d1267), of Worksop, Notts, son of Rowland de Sutton and Alice de Lexinton, possessed the manor of Theydon and Montem, Essex.
William, son of Thomas de Lambourne, died in 1361 and was succeeded by his sister Joan, wife of William de Chene. Before 1376 Lambourne had been conveyed to Sir John de Sutton, William de Chene retaining a life interest. Chene was evidently still alive in 1386, when he held the manor of Polstead (Suff.) By 1411 the manor had passed to Thomas Lampet, whose widow Elizabeth was then holding it for life.
A William de Sutton was Sheriff of Essex 1294-1296.
- John de Sutton
- Type: Book
Periodical: Victoria County History of Essex