Name: Richard Beaumont
Birth: ABT 1505
Death: 10 DEC 1540
Burial: Kirkheaton Church, Yorkshire 1
Residence: Whitely Beaumont, Yorkshire
BATT: Battle of the Spurs 1613 (probably)
Note: 1 2|
Change Date: 24 DEC 2012
Heir to his brother.
RICHARD BEAUMONT, died 10th December 1540 buried in Kirkheaton Church; his will being proved eleven days after, He bequeathed three shillings and four pence to the high altar of Heaton Church, one shilling and one penny to the Poor fund and twenty shillings to be divided amongst the poor at Easter. He granted to his mother in 1494 lands at Huddersfield and Crosslands. He resided for some time in London. In 1506 he paid ~t. Yine oY85 in order to be released from the honour of Knighthood of the Bath, he was a gentleman usher to the King.
In 1613 he took part in the French campaign and was probably present on the 16th August of that year at the battle of Spurs.
-firstly, 20th January, 1488/9, Johanna daughter of John Sandford, of Thorp Salvin, Yorks,
- secondly in 1507, Elizabeth daughter and co-heiress of Sir John Harrington, of Hornby Castle, Yorks, who was killed at the battle of Wakefield, 31st December 1460, she was relict of Sir John Stanley, of Melling, Lancashire? and Hondr'ord, who was an illegitimate son of John Stanley, Bishop of Ely. She wrote to her husband soon after their marriage hinting at a dark deed in which the parson of Slaidburn, York was involved. (See Whitaker's HISTORY OF WALLEY, 11. 508). She was born in 1456 and died, 1515/6 leaving no issue.
- thirdly, 23 March 1522, Margaret, daughter of Robert Wyvill, of Ripon and Little Burton, Yorks, she afterwards married Richard Nevile of Stockbridge. Richard had issue by his first wife:
11. Elizabeth, married in 1501/2, by special dispsnsation an account of consanguinity, John Wodde of Longley, he was descended from Jom, daughter of Aaam, seventh son of Henry Beaumont of Crosslands. He was born in 1458 and his will proved 7th June 1538.
111. Cecilia, married c. 1624 Rizhard Lockwood, of Collersley, near Huddersfield.; She married secondly ___ Kaye. Her father left her in his will £6. 13s. 4d. She had issue:
[Richard, d1540?s] Issue by third wife:
IV. Robert, of Southampton, was alive 1551, when his father gave him lands at Lepton. He had a difficulty with a John Randall, of Donctcster, respecting some land he was desirous of purchasng and he wrote the undermentioned letter to him respecting it.
For as moch as ye have sold your interest of your land in Gawkthorp to Thomas Beaumont, and cannot performe your bargayne hich ye made with me, I can prozede no further with gcu concernyng thn premisses, but take YOU most advantage of some other Iran wher ye think best. Thus Pare ye well.
Yours. Robert Beaumont.
TO my ffriend John Randoll of Doncaster delyver this.?
He married, 1551, Marianna daughter of ___.
V. George, alive in 1531, and under age in 1540 when he is mentioned in his father?s will.
VI. Johanna, alive in 1540, mentioned in her father's will. She married Alvery Copley, of Batley and Sprotbrough Yorks. He died 1598.
It seems that maybe Richard Beaumont of Cole Orton who married Coletta Clarke (qv) also married Margaret Wyville. So maybe Joan?s parents are right but they were of Cole Orton not Whitley Beaumont?
Henry Beaumont of Whitley (Son of Henry Beaumont and Margaret de Vere) had a son Richard Beaumont of Whitley (b 1396, d 4 Dec 1471) who m. Cecilia Merfield (dau of Oliver Merfield or Murfield).
Edward Beaumont of Whitely Beaumont (m Elizabeth Ramsden) died 1575, was son of a Richard Beaumont. His son was 1st Baronet.
In 1502 John Wode, generosus, married Elizabeth, eldest daughter of Richard Beaumont of Whitley, by special licence. [Evidently not this Richard Beaumont.]
Father: Thomas Beaumont b: ABT 1431
Mother: Elizabeth Nevile
Elizabeth Harrington b: 1456
- Joan Beaumont b: in Whitley Beaumont, Yorkshire
- Type: Book
Periodical: Beaumonts In History A.D. 850 - 1850
Author: Edward T. Beaumont, J.P.
- Type: Web Site
Title: Stirnet Genealogy
Author: Patrick Barns-Graham