Name: Fulk Baynard
Residence: Merton, Norfolk
Change Date: 9 SEP 2008
After the Norman Conquest Merton was given by William the Conqueror to Ralph Baynard, one of his followers.
The Domesday Book describes Ralph Baynard's lands in the village as:
"Aethelgyth held Merton before 1066, 3 carucata of land and 1 virgate.
Then and later 17 villagers, now 6. Then and later 3 smallholders, now 1. Then and later 6 slaves, now none.
Woodland, 240 pigs; meadow, 36 acres; always 3 ploughs in lordship. Then 4 men's ploughs, later 2, now none. Then 5 cobs, now 4. Then 18 head of cattle, now 22. Always 24 pigs. Then 150 sheep, now 90.
Always 29 freemen, 2 carucata of land with all customary dues except the 6. Then 7 ploughs, later and now 6."
(Note that a virgate was about 30 fiscal acres and a carucata was thought to be about 120 acres.)
Father: Robert Baynard
- Isabel Baynard