Name: Sir Patrick Hepburn
Suffix: of Waughton 1
Change Date: 25 OCT 2005
married Elena (or Helen) Hepburne, (daughter of Sir Adam Hepburn, of Crags in Forfarshire, brother of the Earl of Bothwell, and his wife Elizabeth Ogstoun,) at Bolton Kirk, East Lothian, on 5th November 1510, under a dispensation granted by Alexander, Archbishop of St.Andrews, which was rendered necessary because of the close degrees of consanguinity. Sir Patrick?s mother was a Lauder of the Bass family as was the mother of the wife of Sir Adam Hepburne of Crags. Sir Patrick died in 1547. His wife, Elena (or Helen) died before 20th April 1560 on which dated her eldest son, Patrick Hepburn of Waughton, was served heir-in-general to her.
1. Sir Patrick Hepburn of Waughton & Redbraes (d.1585) (see below).
2. John Hepburn
3. Robert Hepburn, is mentioned as "a brother of Hepburn of Waughton" in a Great Seal charter dated 13th May 1580.
4. William Hepburn, of Gilmerton, married by contract dated 24th January 1561, Margaret Home. Sir James Balfour Paul (1905) states that this William was the ancestor of the family of Hepburn of Newton of Whitsome. On 25th March 1558 James Hepburn, 4th Earl of Bothwell, executed a charter entailing the Earldom, his baronies, and his heritable offices to his "well-beloved cousin" William Hepburn,brother-german of Patrick Hepburn of Waughton and the heirs-male of his body. It appears that this charter was never submitted for Royal approval and so became of no effect. William was still alive in October 1584 when a charter of that date describes him as "brother-german to Patrick Hepburn of Waughton". In a further charter, confirmed at Holyroodhouse on 22nd September 1599, a William Hepburn was then laird of Bairfoord near Haddington. As these lands were part of the Gilmerton barony it is thought that this could be the above William or one of his children.
5. Elizabeth Hepburn, who married before the 8th May 1536 George Ramsay, of Dalhousie & Foulden. Her Testament was confirmed on 25th May 1576 which indicates she died before that date.
Father: Kentigern Hepburn
Mother: Margaret Lauder
5 NOV 1510
in Bolton Kirk, East Lothian 1
- Elizabeth Hepburn
- Text: HEPBURN of WAUGHTON
By G.M.S.Lauder-Frost, F.S.A.,(Scot).