Name: Elizabeth Thwaites
Burial: 1507 Wheathampstead, Herts 1
Change Date: 14 JAN 2009
Edward Brockett married Elizabeth THWAITES in 1450 in his mid 30s; in keeping with the system of primogeniture perhaps, where only the first born was usually able to marry before c 25. Elizabeth would have been younger, dying 19 years after Edward in 1507. They had 7 or 8 known children.
The marriage brought Edward half of Steton, which John Thwaites gave as a marriage dowry with his daughter, thereby making an alliance with the leading local family (BL Harley 794 ff 73r, 74?notes taken by Roger Dodsworth antiquarian, d 1654, from mss of Thomas 3rd Lord Fairfax, d 1671; MJ Harrison 2000 pp 73, 257):
1. Know &c' that I John Thwaites have given &c' confirmed to Edward Brocket
2. & to Elizabeth Thwaites my son & to the heires of their bodyes all the landes &c' which
3. I late had of the gift of John Gra knight in Steueeton neare Bolton Percy
4. To have &c' And if it happen the foresaid Edward & Elizabeth to die without heire
5. of their bodyes Then all &c' should returne for ever to mee the foresaid John
6. and to my heires Witnesses William Rither knight John Stapleton William ffairfax William Thwait
7. William Norton Esquires and others 29 h 6. page 265 of my Lord ffairfax evidences
8. Elizabeth daughter of John Thwaites was marryed to Edward Brocket with whom he
9. had half of Steeton in le Ainsty intayled vpon them
In return for such dowries, the groom's family guaranteed the bride a juncture, an annuity in case of her widowhood (L Stone 1977 p 72), as mentioned in Edward's will.
Glover says Elizabeth was of 'Loftes in Yorksh', presumably the Lofthouse near Wakefield, c 15 m SW of Appleton. The brief will of John Thwaytes of Lofthouse, bur Harwod 22 Jan 1461, pr Oct 1469 leaves the residue to his co-executors (one being his wife Isabelle) and otherwise mentioning only their unmarried daughter Alice (York Registry Wills vol 4, microfilm 914 f 140). The pedigree of Thwaytes of Marston at the back of BL Harley 794 does not correspond with this John, nor with the arms given to Elizabeth in Harley 807: Argent 3 fleur de lys gules a fesse gules 3 rings argent.
Surely despite the absence of reference in his will, her parents must be the one shown?
James Dow has her father as Thomas Thwaites and Alice Hay.
Father: John Thwaites
Mother: Jane Thornton
- John Brocket
- Alice Brockett
- Text: The Broket Archive