Name: Donal MacCarthy Reagh
Suffix: 9th Prince of Carbery 1
Change Date: 23 MAR 2011
Catherine is not mentioned as daughter by John O?Hart, but neither is Julia below, who surely must be his duaghter?
Julia MacCarthy, daughter of Prince of Carberry Donnel Mac Fineere Mac Carthy-Reagh and Lady Eleanor FitzGerald, was born Abt 1530. She married Dermond O'Sullivan Beare 11th Lord Beare & Bantry (b abt 1520, d 1549).
Donal MacCarthy Reagh, Prince of Carbery: his son; governed Carbery for twenty-six years; assisted Cormac Oge Laidir, lord of Muscry, against the English in Munster, in 1521.
He married twice: first, to the daughter of Cormac Laidir, lord of Muscry, by whom he had two sons and one daughter--the sons were:
1. Dermod, who was slain by Walter Fitzgerald, son of the Earl of Kildare;
2. Donal, who died s. p.;
the daughter was Ellen, who married Teige Mór O'Driscoll.
Donal MacCarthy Reagh married secondly to Eleanor Fitzgerald (daughter of Gerald Fitzgerald, 8th Earl of Kildare), whose sister Alice was wife to Conn O'Neill, Prince of Ulster: the issue of this marriage was four sons, who were successively (by usage of tanistry) "Princes of Carbery:
1. Cormac na-Haine;
2. Finin, married Catherine, daughter of Donal an-Drumin, Prince of Desmond, he left no male issue;
3. Donogh (d. 1576), married Joanna, the daughter of Maurice Fitzgerald, by whom he had Finin, who married Elana, Princess of Desmond, and who was made The MacCarthy Mór by Aodh O'Neill, Prince of Ulster; Donogh had also Dermod Maol, who m. Ellen, the dau. of Teige O'Donoghue of Glenflesk; and Julia, who married Owen O'Sullivan Mór. Donogh married, secondly, to a dau. of John, lord Power, by whom he had Donogh Oge, who m. Graine, the dau. of Dermod, lord Muscry; was interred at Timoleague;
4. Owen ("of the Parliament") d. 1593; m. Ellen, dau. of Dermod O'Callaghan, by whom he had two sons and six daughters:--the sons were --Finin, who m. Eleanor, the dau. of Edmond Fitzgibbon, the White Knight, and widow of his cousin Cormac; and had by her several children: one of these, Catherine, m. Dermod MacCarthy, younger son of Teige an-Duna; Ellen, who married Finin O'Driscoll; Julia, who m. Dermod, son of Donal O'Sullivan Mór; Eleanor, who m. Finin M'Owen Carragh Carthy of Kilbrittain; Joanna, who m. Donal O'Donovan; Honoria, who married Edmond Fitzgerald, Knight of the Valley; Graine, who m. twice, first, Barry Oge of Buttevant, and, secondly, Cormac, son of Cormac MacTeige, of Muscry.
Father: Finghin MacCarthy Reagh
Mother: Catherine Fitzgerald
- Sheila or Catherine MacCarthy
- Cormac na Haoine MacCarthy Reagh b: 1490
- Text: MacCarthy, McCarthy, Carthy, Cartie, etc.
- Type: Book
Periodical: Irish Pedigrees; or the Origin and Stem of the Irish Nation
Author: John O'Hart