Name: Richard Lawson
Suffix: of Highriggs
Change Date: 16 AUG 2011
A Richard Lawson of High Riggs was Provost of Edinburgh in 1504.
Provost in 1492 and again in 1504, it seems.
Mr. Richard Lawson of Humbie and Hieriggs had a dau Marjory who married in 1508 Sir John Haldane.
The Lawsons held Cairnmuir from the time of Sir Richard Lawson, who took a prominent part in public affairs, and who was made " Justice-Clerk " about 1488, He was of the family of Lawson of Humbie, and acquired Cairnmuir in 1500.
(The History and Poetry of the Scottish Border: Their Main Features and Relations. By John Veitch. p 359.)
Lady Lawson Street, formerly Lady Lawson Wynd, in Edinburgh is named after Lady Lawson, wife of Mr. Richard Lawson, justiciary Clerk of the King James IV 1493, St. L.A. of the High Riggs, o.& n.e. Sir Richard Lawson of Boghall.
A Richard Lawson of Boghall is said to have had a dau Catherine who married James Primrose (d. 1641), however this is wrong, as there was no Richard Lawson, Laird of Boghallat that time. Catherine?s father was Richard Lawson, Burgess of Edinburgh, who apears to have been a bookseller and publisher.
(The lands and lairds of Dunipace.)
"Sir Richard Lawson" of Hierigs, Cairnmuir, Cambo & Boghall etc: was Lord Justice Clerk, 1488-1491, Provost of Edinburgh 1492-1505 & died 1507. Lady Wynd Street, in Edinburgh is given in honour of his wife Janet nee Elphinstone of the Semlyis family. Sir Richard Lawson also was at the Battle of Coldstream. The family home was located at High Riggs, Edinburgh, Scotland and was demolished in 1877. The family also owned "Cairnmuir", in Peebles, Midlothian, Scotland.
Adam Hepburn of Kirklandhill purchased Humbie and Hartside from James Lawson of Humbie in 1586.
The name of LAWSON dates from the beginning of the fourteenth century; and the first LAWSON of Humbie known to history is WILLIAM, who was served heir to the estate in 1406.
(Roll of eminent burgesses of Dundee, 1513-1886.)
- Elizabeth Lawson