Name: William Lichfield
Death: 1446 1
Change Date: 22 MAR 2007
The Abnalls estate, in Burntwood , Staffs, was held in the early 15th century by William Newport, who made it his home. He was knighted in 1400 and was three times sheriff and three times M.P. for the county. He evidently died in 1415 or 1416, and Abnalls passed to Sir William Lichfield, Aymer's heir and kinsman, who was living there in 1417. In 1421 he made a settlement of what was called the manor of Abnalls. (fn. 53) The manor then descended with his share of Freeford, passing in 1537 to the Wingfield family.
By 1421 a third of Freeford, Staffs, was held by Sir William Lichfield, evidently as heir of Elizabeth, one of Sir John Freeford's daughters and wife of John Bachecote. William was succeeded in 1446 by his daughter Margaret, wife of Humphrey Stafford of Bishop's Frome (Herefs.). The share evidently passed to Sir William Stafford of Bishop's Frome, whose daughter Margaret married Sir George de Vere.
In the early 14th century the mill at Darnford (in Streethay with Fulfen, Staffs) was held by Robert of Rodswell, archdeacon of Chester, whose heir granted it to William of Freeford and his son Robert. (fn. 173) In 1365 Sir John Freeford, William's heir and other son, granted the mill to two chaplains of Lichfield cathedral, one of whom in 1373 transferred it to the chaplain serving a chantry founded by Cleydon.
- Elizabeth Lichfield
- Type: Book
Periodical: Victoria County History of Worcester