Name: Maud de Fitton 1
Change Date: 4 APR 2007
Co heiress of father.
When William de Fitton died in 1289 he divided his lands between his three daughters, Matilda, Elizabeth and Annabel. Matilda, who was married to William de Hesketh, was given the Manor House of Martholme and the demesne land and land at Rufford.
William de Hesketh already owned land at neighbouring Tottleworth and soon, with his wife, he owned two thirds of Great Harwood when Annabel and her husband Edmund de Legh sold them their bequest. This meant the Heskeths were now of superior rank to the Nowells who then had to pay homage promising Knights Service for their third of the manor. There are several surviving records of the Homage Ceremony the first being in 1390 between Thomas Hesketh and John Nowell which took place at Easter in the "Chapel of Harewode".
Father: Richard Fitton
William de Hesketh
- Thomas Hesketh
- Text: The Hesketh Family of Great Harwood