Name: Archibald Campbell
Suffix: 1st of Glenlyon 1
Birth: AFT 1481
Death: 29 APR 1552
Change Date: 20 DEC 2009
Archibald Campbell, 1st of Glenlyon, the founder this family, was younger son of Sir Duncan Campbell, 2nd of Glenorchy, and to whom his father assigned the lands of Glenlyon. He was witness to a charter by his father to John Campbell of Auchreoch for the lands of Schian on 16 April, 1513, in which he is styled as his son and m. firstly to Mariota, daughter of Iver Campbell, of Ardtarna, (she d. 12 August, 1537). He m. secondly in 1538 to Isabel, daughter of John Grant, of Glenmoriston, d. on 29 April, 1552, and had issue,
1. Duncan Campbell, 2nd of Glenlyon, (qv).
2. Patrick Campbell, had a Bond of Maintenance from Colin Campbell of Glenorchy on 3 June, 1579.
3. Colin Campbell,
4. Marjory Campbell, m. to John MacNaughton, of Dunderawe, and had issue
5. Mary Campbell, m. to Gregor Roy MacGregor, of Glenstrae, and to whom is attributed the lament "Grioghail Cridhe'" or "My beloved Gregor" which she is said to have composed as she watched her husband being executed at Kenmore by her father and other Campbell kinsmen on 7 April, 1570. They had issue.
Father: Duncan Campbell
Mother: Margaret Douglas
- Duncan Campbell
- Text: http://www.perthshireheritage.co.uk