Name: James Hamilton
Suffix: 1st E of Abercorn 1
Birth: ABT 1575
Death: 23 MAR 1618 in dvp
Change Date: 9 APR 2010
Hamilton was made Sheriff of Linlithgow in 1600, received large grants of lands in Scotland and Ireland, was created in 1603 Baron Abercorn, and on 10 July 1606 was rewarded for his services in the matter of the union by being made Earl of Abercorn and Lord Paisley, Hamilton, Mountcastell and Kilpatrick. He married Marion, daughter of Thomas Boyd, 5th Lord Boyd, and left nine children:
* Lady Anne Hamilton (1592?1620), married Hugh Sempill, 5th Lord Sempill and had issue
* James Hamilton, 2nd Earl of Abercorn (c. 1604 ? c. 1670), created Lord Hamilton, Baron of Strabane in the Peerage of Ireland in his father's lifetime.
* Sir William Hamilton, 1st Baronet (c. 1605?1680)
* Claud Hamilton, 2nd Baron Hamilton of Strabane (c. 1606?1638)
* Sir George Hamilton, 1st Baronet (c. 1607?1679)
* Lady Lucy Hamilton (b. bef. 1618)
* Sir Alexander Hamilton (d. bef. May 4, 1669), married and had issue
* Lady Margaret Hamilton (d. c. May 4, 1642), married Sir William Cuninghame of Caprington
* Lady Isobel Hamilton.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Bannerman says he was grandfather of Alexander Hamilton of Easter Binning?s (qv), daughter Marion, wif eof Alexander Bannerman. But The Earl?s son Alexander was, according to Stirnet, Sir Alexander Hamilton of Holborn (d before 04.05.1669) who m. Elizabeth Bedingfield.
Father: Claud Hamilton b: 1543
Mother: Margaret Seton
- Alexander Hamilton
- Text: Clan Bannerman on Wikipedia