Name: John Beauchamp
Suffix: 1st Baron Beauchamp
Birth: 25 JUL 1274 in Hatch, Somerset
Death: 3 OCT 1336
Burial: Stoke-sub-Hamden, Somerset
Change Date: 27 DEC 2010
Died 12 Oct 1336. Buried 1337?!
Governor of Bridgewater (?)
In 1303 Sir John Beauchamp obtained the royal licence to convert his free chapel of St. Nicholas at Stoke into a collegiate church of five priests, of whom one should be warden or provost. The priests were to wear the dress of secular canons, to live together, under the control of the provost. Rules were laid down for the celebration of the five daily masses, certain endowments were specified, including half the tithes from the demesnes of Shepton Beauchamp, and a clause was inserted in the foundation deed forbidding Sir John and his heirs to send horses, hawks or hounds to be looked after by the canons. Reginald de Moncketon was appointed first provost, and arrangements were made by which the rectory of Stoke should be appropriated to the college upon the cession of the then rector, Robert Beauchamp. Papal confirmation was obtained in 1309.
Bishop Drokensford issued a commission for the visitation of the college of Stoke in December 1320, but the proceedings were not recorded. In 1331 the warden of Stoke was licensed to hear the confessions of his brethren and of the family of Sir John Beauchamp.
Father: John Beauchamp
Mother: Cecily Vivonia b: ABT 1257
Joan Chenduit Cheney
- William Beauchamp b: 1305
- John Beauchamp b: 4 OCT 1306 in Hatch, Somerset
- Joan Beauchamp
- Type: Book
Periodical: Victoria County History of Somerset