Name: Edmund Kendall
Residence: Linwood, Hants
Change Date: 4 DEC 2009
In the early part of the 14th century Edmund de Kendall and Aubrey his wife were holding tenements in Linwood, a moiety of which, consisting of half a messuage and 1 carucate of land, was settled in 1325 on his daughter Agnes and her husband John le Waleys, with reversion to his daughter Felicia, who also entered into the agreement. The second moiety passed to Margaret, another daughter of Edmund, who married William de Mours. The moiety of Felicia, afterwards known as East Linwood, passed into the Norton family since she married John Norton, and in 1370 their son John de Norton died seised of her moiety.
A Sir Edmund de Kendall, held four messuages and six acres of land, at Rokeford, Edw. III. n. an( j jj evwo( j e) in the county of Southampton.
(BARONIA ANGLICA CONCENTRATA)
Linwood is a dispersed hamlet with a history going back at least seven hundred years. We know that at some date prior to 1271 Peter de Linwood made a gift of all his holdings in the settlement to William le Rus and Adam de la Bere.
By the early fourteenth century the ranor of Linwood had passed into the hands of Edmund de Kendall who later divided the estate between his daughters Felicia and Margaret. When the girls married locally the moiety of each became merged with the manors of Ellingham and Harbridge respectively.
- Felicia Kendall
- Type: Book
Periodical: Victoria County History of Hampshire