Name: Thomas de la River
Residence: Brandsby, Yorkshire
LVG: 1298. 1326
Change Date: 15 DEC 2011
From an early date Brandsby was held of the Mowbrays by the family of de la River. The pedigree of the Yorkshire branch of this family is not very well established in its early stages, but they seem to have been lords of Brandsby from the 12th century. In 1166 Walter de la River was holding a knight's fee in Yorkshire of Roger de Mowbray, and Henry son of Walter de la River gave 4 oxgangs of land in Brandsby to Newburgh Priory.
In the reign of Henry III Richard de la River held a fee of Niel de Mowbray 'in Brandsby and elsewhere,' and made a grant to the Abbot and monks of St. Mary of Byland, which was afterwards confirmed by his son Richard, a minor at the time of his father's death. His successor was Nicholas de la River, who in 1284 held a knight's fee in Brandsby of Roger de Mowbray.
Thomas de la River was the next lord of the manor. His name first appears in 1298, when William de Roos obtained a commission of oyer and terminer against him on a charge of breaking his park in Storthwaite. He was lord of the manor in 1301, and it was probably he whom the king removed in 1315 from the post of verderer in the forest of Galtres 'for insufficient qualification.
A William de la River of Brandsby is mentioned in 1322, but, as Thomas de la River and his wife Joan were living in the same year and in 1326, William can hardly have been lord of the manor.
- John de la River