Name: *Sancho I of Castile
Name: Sancho I Garces
Birth: ABT 963 in Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
Death: 1017 1
Occupation: BET 995 AND 1017 Count of Castile 2
Sancho García (died 1017), called of the Good Laws (in Spanish, el de l os Buenos Fueros), was the count of Castile and Álava from 995 to his deat h.
Sancho was the son of count García Fernández and his wife Aba of Ribagorz a. He rebelled against his father with the support of Al-Mansur of Córdob a. This resulted in the partition of the county between father and son, a nd the county was not reunited until his father's death five years late r. He renewed the Reconquista by rebelling against Almanzor, alongside Gar cía Sánchez II of Pamplona and García Gómez of the Banu Gómez. Sancho l ed the coalition that was defeated at the Battle of Cervera in July 100 0, but in early September successfully turned back the Córdoban invasi on of his county. Almanzor was again campaigning against Sancho in 1002 wh en another battle occurred, remembered by the Christians as the Batt le of Calatañazor and Muslims as the Pedroso expedition. The two sides rep ort different outcomes to the battle itself, but Almanzor died of injuri es received in the conflict, removing Sancho's primary antagonist and leav ing the Caliphate of Córdoba in crisis. Sancho ruled for another 15 year s, and was succeeded by his own son García.
His wife was named Urraca, whose appears to have been his cousin, the daug hter of count Gómez Díaz of Saldaña, head of the Beni Gómez family, by Mun iadona Fernández of Castile.
Father: *Garcia I Fernandez b: 938 in Castile-La Mancha, Spain
Mother: *Ava of Ribagorza b: in Ribagorza, Huesca, Spain
*Urraca Gomez b: ABT 980 in Saldaña, Palencia, Spain
- *Mua Mayor Sanchez b: ABT 998 in Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
- *Urraca of Castile b: ABT 999 in Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
- Ferdinand of Castile b: ABT 1000 in Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
- Tigridia of Castile b: ABT 1001 in Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
- *Sancha Sánchez b: ABT 1002 in Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
- Sanchez II of Castile b: ABT 1004 in Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
- Garcia II of Castile b: ABT 1007 in Toledo, Castilla-La Mancha, Spain
- Title: 1Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
- Title: Wikipedia