Name: *Ingegerd Olofsdotter
Name: Ingrid (Ingegerda) Olafsdotter
Birth: ABT 1001 in Sigtuna, Uppland, Stockholm, Sweden 1
Death: 10 FEB 1050 in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia 1
Burial: Cathedral of St Sophia in Novgorod 1
Occupation: Princess of Sweden
She was the daughter of Swedish King Olof Skötkonung. She was engag ed to be married to Norwegian King Olaf II, but when Sweden and Norway g ot into a feud, Swedish King Olof Skötkonung wouldn't allow for the marria ge to happen.
Instead, her father quickly arranged with a marriage to the powerful Yaros lav I the Wise of Novgorod. Once in Russia, her name was changed to the Gr eek Irene. According to several sagas, she was given as a marriage gift La doga and adjacent lands, which later received the name Ingria (arguab ly a corruption of Ingigerd's name).
She initiated the building of the Saint Sophia Cathedral in Kiev that w as supervised by her husband, who styled himself czar. They had six sons a nd four daughters, which became Queens of France, Hungary, Norway, and (ar guably) England. The whole family is depicted in one of the frescoes of t he Saint Sophia. Upon her death on 10 Feb. 1049, she was buried in the sa me cathedral.
Ingigerd-Irene is sometimes confused with Yaroslav's first wife, whose na me was Anna. She was declared a local saint in Novgorod because of her ini tiative of building the Cathedral of St Sophia in Novgorod, where she is b uried.
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Father: *Olaf III "Skotkonung" Eriksson b: ABT 980 in Sweden
Mother: Estrid of the Obotrites b: ABT 979 in Sweden
*Yaroslav I "The Wise" of Kiev b: ABT 978 in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia
- *Vladimir II "the Nimble" of Kiev b: 1020 in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia
- *Anastasia of Kiev b: ABT 1023 in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia
- *Iziaslav I of Kiev b: 1024 in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia
- Elizabeth of Kiev b: 1025 in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia
- *Sviatoslav II of Kiev b: 1027 in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia
- *Vsevolod I of Kiev b: 1030 in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia
- Igor of Volynia b: 1036 in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia
- Vyacheslav of Smolensk b: 1036 in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia
- *Anne of Kiev b: BET 1024 AND 1032 in Kiev, Ukraine, Russia
- Title: Wikipedia
- Title: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia