Name: Merenre II (Nemtyemsaf) of Pepy II of Pepy I
Surname: Pepy II of Pepy I
Given Name: Merenre II (Nemtyemsaf) of
Birth: ABT 2175 BC in Egypt
_UID: 626EA7E92E40CD4EB83C810A4CA0EAEC2A9D 1 2
Change Date: 20 Mar 2014 at 01:00:00|
Father: Pepy II (Phiops II ) (Neferkare) (Netjerkhau) of Pepy I of Teti b: ABT 2225 BC in Egypt
Mother: (Neith) Nit (wife of Pepy II) b: ABT 2225 BC in Egypt
Neitaqerti (Nitocris) (Nitokris) of Pepy II of Pepy I b: ABT 2175 BC in Abydos, Egypt
- Iput II of Merenre II of Pepy II b: in Egypt
- Associate of Pharaoh Merenre II of Pepy II foster b: ABT 2175 BC in Egypt
- AKA Pharaoh (Merenre II) Nemtyemsaf II of Pepy II foster b: ABT 2175 BC in Egypt
- Associates of Pharaoh-Queen Neitaqerti of Pepy II foster b: ABT 2175 BC in Abydos, Egypt
- AKA Pharaoh (Neitaqerti) Amyitis of Pepy II foster b: ABT 2175 BC in Abydos, Egypt
- AKA Pharaoh (Neitaqerti) (Nitokris) Nitocris of Pepy II foster b: ABT 2175 BC in Abydos, Egypt
- AKA Pharaoh (Neitaqerti) Neithokerti of Pepy II foster b: ABT 2175 BC in Abydos, Egypt
- AKA Pharaoh (Neitaqerti) Neith II of Pepy II foster b: ABT 2175 BC in Abydos, Egypt
- AKA Pharaoh (Neitaqerti) Seshepenupet III of Pepy II foster b: ABT 2175 BC in Abydos, Egypt
- Title: Web sites
Note: Long reigns have proven to create succession problems. As powerful as Ramesses II was, his su ccessors likewise had problems because of their advanced age when they themselves ascended t o the throne. Hence, we find that Pepi II may have been succeeded by a son, Merenre II, but p erhaps for only one year. According to Manetho, he was married to a Queen Nitocris, who succe eded her husband to become the last ruler of the 6th Dynasty. However, very little archaeolog ical evidence of Merenre II or Nitocris exists. Merenre II's mother would have probably bee n Neith. After Pepi II, the marvelous building projects ceased almost entirely until the reig n of Mentuhotep II of the 11th Dynasty.
- Title: Phouka.com Egyptian Dynasties
Note: Dynasty 6
Horus Name: unknown
Nebty Name: unknown
Golden Horus Name: unknown
Praenomen: Merenre "Beloved of Re"
Nomen: Mentiemsaf "Nemti is his Protector"
Alternate Names: Nemtizaf II , Mentiemsaf II
manetho: reigned < 1 year
turin canon: reigned 1 year, 1 month
piccione: 2261--2260 BCE
von beckerath: 2194-2193
redford: c. 2206
allen: c. 2152
Predecessor: Father Pepi II
Successor: Possibly Nitocris, wife and sister.
Father Pepi II
Wife Nitocris, possibly sister
Burial Place: unknown
Merenre II is only attested to in the king lists. The Turin canon assigns him a reign of les s than one year. It is assumed that he is a son of Pepi II, but he is otherwise unattested.
Merenre II is sometimes called Nentimsaf II, which is the same name as Merenre I -- since th e egyptians didn't use the numbering system for pharaohs, that's our invention, we would no t be able to tell which person they are referencing. For that reason, some believe that the n ame Merenre was mistakenly attributed to Nemtimsaf II.
Based on historical documentation for his possible successor, his sister/wife Nitocris, Meren re II was murdered while on the throne.