Name: Jeremiah Colburn
Birth: ABT 1710 in Dracut Mass
Death: AFT 1787 in Pittston Maine
According to Illustrated History of Kennebec County Maine: July 5, 1763, Jeremiah and Hannah (Varnum) Colburn came to Pittston and bought 800 acres of land on the eastern side of the Kennebec river. On May 6, 1765, he sold to his son, Reuben, 107 acres, on which the latter built the homestead now standing. About the time of this purchase Reuben married Elizabeth Lewis. The house is the oldest in Pittston.
This creates a couple problems on previous family history where I had his wife a Sarah Jewell- I'm leaving in Sarah as one wife but putting in Hannah as the preferred wife. Another problem is also that I have a Hannah Varnum as the wife of Ezra Colburn
1625 - 1892
Henry D. Kingsbury
Simeon L. Deyo
H.W. Blake and Company
94 Reade St.
" Settlers. - The first settlers made their clearings along the river.... In 1761, four brothers, Reuben, Jeremiah, Oliver and Benjamin Colburn, settled above Agry's, and formed a settlement then known as Colburntown. Here they built vessels, and where the late Gustavus A. Colburn resided, Major Colburn, his grandfather, constructed the bateaux for the Arnold expedition to Quebec, the beautiful growth of white oaks that covered the bank of the river making it a most suitable spot for the work. He was assisted in his labors by the Agrys, Edward Fuller and other, all settlers on the river.... page 712. John Taggart bought a farm, in 1773, of Major Reuben Colburn;.... Page 713. The west site of the town, along the Kennebec river, was of the most importance in those early days. Shipbuilding was carried on at every available place along the river; a ferry was run from near Smith's tavern, to the opposite side of the river; and the tavern itself was the central gathering place for town meetings well into the present century. On the uplands the early settlers found an abundance of oak, and in the intervales, pine, from which vessels were made, and of which large quantities were rafted to other localities. The first saw mill and the first grist mill stood at the mouth of Nehumkeag creek..... Page 713. The tax list of 1803 shows these residents-Reuben Colburn, Benjamin and Joseph Colburn, Widow Margaret Colburn, Captain Oliver Colburn.... Page 714. Town meeting had been held at the inn of Henry Smith for several years but when the old Congregational Church was sold to the town, in 1820, religious and town meeting were held in that building. This old church which stood where the hearse house now stands, on G.A. Colburn's farm, was begun by Major Colburn and others in 1788, but the society was unable to finish it, and it was used as above stated until 1846 when it was again sold, and tradition says that it is now in part doing service as a barn for Mrs. E.H. Lapham, near Grange Hall.... Page 715. North Pittston---- The post village of North Pittston is beautifully situated in the northeast corner of the town and was early a central location for that portion of the community. It was usually called Colburn's Corners having been settled by George Colburn, on the land where James Crowell now resides..... In olden times Colburn's Corners was a lively center. In the school house ministers discoursed and singing schools were held....George Colburn's shoe shop was the first store established...... About 1860 Joseph G. Colburn started a store which during the war he disposed of... Page 716. Other localities----- The river road running the length of the town, is a beautiful drive through a rich, thickly settled district, with many historic spots on either side. Here was Colburntown, above Smith's tavern, where Jeremiah, Reuben ( who was such an earnest Congregationalist), Oliver, and Benjamin Colburn settled in 1761 and also their four sisters--- Lucy, Sarah Elizabeth, Hannah and Rachel Colburn. Below was Henry Smith's tavern, early and opportune built, where the town meetings of old Pittston were held for so many years. The hogsheads of rum dealt out there have not been lost in tradition. Still further below was Agry's point, where Arnold's bateaux were built for transporting troops and stores up the river; and down along the street, winding with the river, cluster many other spots of early interest.... Page 719. Civil lists--- The first pages of the original town records have been lost or destroyed. The oldest volume contains the record of the town meeting of 1782, which was held at the " dwelling house of Cap't Henry Smith, Innholder, June 6th at 5 0'clock in the afternoon." Reuben Colburn was the moderator at that and the two following meetings..... Benjamin Colburn was the selectman in 1782, Reuben Colburn in 1798.... Page 720. Ecclesiastical---- It is said that Major Reuben Colburn would,on Saturdays, if the weather were suitable, take his family in a canoe and paddle them down the river to Georgetown, thirty-five miles away, attending church Sunday and returning Monday... Page 721. A Congregationalist society was formed Nov. 2, 1812, in the east parish, at the house of Major Rueben Colburn...." Page 722.
" The History of Gardiner, Pittston, West Gardiner, Maine 1602-1852" by J.W. Hanson, published by William Palmer, 1852
"The following year, 1761, four brothers and their four sisters removed from Dunstable to the eastern side of the river and settled in what is now sometimes called Coburntown. Their names were Jeremiah, Reuben, Oliver, Benjamin, Lucy, Sarah, Elizabeth, Hannah, and Rachel COLBURN. Lucy m. Dr. Zachariah Flitner; Sarah Elizabeth m. Maj. Henry Smith. Hannah m. Josiah French of Winthrop, and Rachel m Thomas Jackson. Jeremiah soon removed to Orono, and his daughters were the first white Americans who inhabited that place."
November 9, 1763, Reuben Colburn [Wiscasset Records] received 250 acres on the eastern side of the river. The conditions specified were substantially the same as those attached to the other settlers' lots. He was required to build a house 20 feet square, and 7 feet stud; was to reduce 3 acres to tillage in 3 years; he or his heirs were to occupy the land for 10 years, and work two days each year on the ministerial lot. Jan. 1, 1773 he bought a lot five miles by one half a mile, of James Bowdoin, excepting one lot of 100 acres, granted to John Shanny. Maj. Colburn built some of the first vessels on the Kennebec, and took an active part in the Revolution. His location was near Agry's point.
Father: Ezra Colburn b: 1682 in Dracut Mass
Mother: Lucy Nelson b: 14 JAN 1687/88 in Rowley,Essex,Mass
Sarah Jewell b: BET 1710 AND 1714 in Dunstable, Middlesex, Mass
- Reuben Colburn b: 1740 in Dracut, Mass
- Oliver Colburn b: 1744 in Dracut, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Benjamin Colburn b: 1747 in Dracut, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Lucy Colburn b: 1748 in Dracut, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Hannah Colburn b: 1752 in Dracut, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Jeremiah Colburn b: 1736 in Dracut, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Sarah Elizabeth Colburn b: 1750
- Hannah Colburn
- Rachel Colburn