Little Family Genealogy

Entries: 4399    Updated: 2016-12-23 21:55:04 UTC (Fri)    Owner: Pat Geary    Home Page: The Little Family and Collateral Lines   Note: You will leave RootsWeb

Index | Pedigree | Ahnentafel

  • ID: I225
  • Name: William C. WINSTON
  • Surname: Winston
  • Given Name: William C.
  • Sex: M
  • Birth: ABT 1815
  • Death: 26 Mar 1894
  • Burial: Maple Hill Cemetery, Huntsville, Alabama
  • _UID: 435CB46BFADA7943BABF01F9043A35BBEFD5
  • Note:
    !RELATIONSHIP: Information obtained from Records of Lincoln County, TN. Compiled by Kathleen Paul Jones and Pauline Jones Gandrud, 1932. Page 21. Wilson County, TN. Deed Book Y, Pg 390-91 dated 28 Nov 1849 mentions Nancy Winston and some of her children including a W. C. Winston.

    !DEATH - BURIAL: Maple Hill Cemetery Sexton's Records for Huntsville, AL. By Dorothy Scott Johnson. 1982 include a William Winston who died of heart failure living in the 2nd ward who died on 26 Mar 1894 at age 79. He would have been born in 1815. Could not locate newspaper obituary.

    !MARRIAGE: Marriage Records of Wilson County, TN 1802-1850. Compiled by Edythe Rucker Whitley. 1981. pg 147 - William C. Winston and Rebecca J. Cason. Feb 20, 1836. by L. Fisher, M.G.

    !CENSUS: 1860 - Rutherford County, TN. William Winston (45) carpenter b TN; R.J. (f) 40; E. M. (m) 22 brickmason; W. D. (m) 17 mason; R. F. (f) 13; F. A. (m) 10.


    This company was enlisted at Nashville in the summer of 1861, and mustered into Confederate service on August 21, 1861, at Camp Polk, Columbus, Kentucky. Captain Keiter was killed by the explosion of a gun at Columbus on August 31, 1861, and Major General Polk appointed Lieutenant W. Y. C. Humes, from Bankhead's Battery, as captain to succeed him. Humes was detached from the company on October 16, 1862 and sent to Mobile, Alabama, on special service, being commissioned major of artillery on May 15, 1863, and eventually brigadier general of cavalry. Lieutenant Winston was in command of the company until Humes' promotion, and at that time was appointed captain and remained in command for the rest of the war. The battery remained at Columbus, Kentucky, until about March 1, 1862, when it moved to Island Number Ten, where Humes was placed in charge of the heavy batteries on the island. One of the guns was a 128-pounder rifled gun, known as the Belmont Gun, and from this gun the company got the name of the Belmont Battery. On Island Number Ten, the battery underwent the bombardment from the Federal gunboats from March 15 to April 7, 1863. Captain Humes reported that the forces on shore in Madrid Bend evacuated without notifying him, and that on the night of April 7 he was forced to surrender. The company remained in Federal prisons until being sent to Vicksburg, Mississippi for exchange on September 20, 1862. The company was reorganized October, 1862, and declared exchanged on November 10, 1862. On September 30, 1862, Brigadier General Gideon J. Pillow, in charge of the Conscript Bureau, attempting to secure a division for himself, requested that Humes' Battery be assigned to his command, so that he could recruit it and equip it as light artillery. Instead, after being reorganized at Jackson, Mississippi, the company moved to Mobile, Alabama on November 1, 1862, where it remained until April, 1863. Winston was sent to Tennessee on recruiting service, and rejoined the battery January 19, 1863. On April 25 it was assigned to guard duty on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad and stationed near Shuba, Clark County, Mississippi, some of the men being left at Mobile to take care of the camp. It moved to Pascagoula, Mississippi, on June 23, and back to Mobile in July. The section at Mobile was in Brigadier General James E. Slaughter's Brigade, and on June 8 was reported at Bay Shore, near Mobile, attached to the 17th Alabama Infantry under Colonel Murphy. The section on the Mobile and Ohio Railroad was in Brigadier General W. L. Powel's Brigade. On August 1, 1863 the battery was reported in Brigadier General James Cantey's Brigade, at Mobile, where it remained until about the first of April, 1864. On January 11, 1864, it was reported armed with two 12-pounder Napoleons, two 12-pounder fixed howitzers. About April 1, 1864, it was transferred from the Department of the Gulf, and placed in Brigadier General C. W. Sears' Brigade, Major General S. G. French's Division, of Lieutenant General Leonidas Polk's forces, and encamped near Selma, Alabama, until May 1, when it moved with the brigade to Greensboro, Alabama; to Montevallo, Alabama; to Rome, Georgia, and joined the Army of Tennessee at Adairsville, Georgia, on May 17, 1864. While enroute, some men from McLendon's Mississippi Battery were assigned to the company. It was engaged at Powder Springs, Georgia, on May 24, and then moved back to Selma, Alabama, where one section was assigned temporarily to Major General N. B. Forrest's command on June 29, 1864. By July 10, 1864, the whole battery was back at Mobile, Alabama. Here it was placed in Brigadier General Bryan M. Thomas' Brigade. On October 28, 1864, Winston's and Tobin's were the Tennessee batteries reported in the artillery of the Department of the Gulf, under Major Henry C. Semple, commanding. At this time the battery reported four officers, 49 men present for duty; 76 present; 87 present and absent; and armed with four pieces of field artillery. On December 1, 1864, one section was reported with Colonel R. McCulloch, at Dog River Factory, Alabama. In 1865, on January 23, a Federal report placed Winston's Battery at Mobile, with five 12-pounders and 60 men. On February 21, Confederate reports showed only one section of Winston's Battery at Mobile, armed with one l0-pounder Parrott and one 12-pounder howitzer. The recommendation was made that should Mobile be invested, Culpepper's and Tobin's batteries, and Winston's section should operate with the cavalry outside the city. On March 10, 1865, the battery was reported as in Captain John W. Grayson's Battalion of Artillery, in the Right Wing, Defenses of Mobile, under the command of Major Melancthon J. Smith. Mobile was evacuated by the Confederates on April 11, and occupied by the Federal troops on April 12. The last mention of the battery which was found was in a report from a Mr. Hugh McKeene, a steamboat mate, who said he left Montgomery, Alabama on April 8, and that there were in Montgomery at that time one gun and one caisson of Winston's Battery, along with the Third Alabama Reserves. This was probably the section which had been detached to Colonel McCulloch in December 1864. The battery was surrendered as part of the forces under Lieutenant General Richard Taylor, which were surrendered at Citronelle, Alabama on May 4, 1865, and paroled at Meridian, Mississippi a few days later. The records show that Captain Winston was paroled at Meridian on May 9, 1865.

    Items from The Huntsville Weekly Democrat September 20, 1882. Friday last Sheriff Cooper and his deputy, Joe Cooper, arrested Joe Ellett at Bryant?s Salon, in this city under three indictments, one for assault with intent to kill, and two for gambling. Ellett had avoided arrest for about a year, we understand.?The Sheriff and deputy, learning his whereabouts, rushed in, presenting a revolver and ordering him to surrender. He did so, and, the Sheriff trying to return the pistol to his hip pocket, dropped it to the floor, and it exploded, the ball passing through his pants near one ankle. The powder burnt his ankle and he, at first, supposed he was shot. Ellett was lodged in jail. On Saturday, an appearance bond was signed for his release, and only awaited the approval of Judge Richardson who had gone to New York. Ellett was allowed the freedom of the passage between the cells during the day. He was in the passage, when the jailor, "Uncle Billy Winston," let a boy in the outer door to give Joe his supper. Joe rushed at "Uncle Billy" like a battering ram at a Billy goat, butted his head, knocked him down, escaped, and has not been caught yet. He would probably have been released on bond on Monday. "Uncle Billy" says when Joe?s head struck his, he saw stars, felt fire, smelt brimstone, and became unconscious. He fears the widows won?t think as well of him after this downfall. All joking aside, he has proved a good jailor. He has served two years and this is the first escape.
  • Change Date: 11 Jun 2013 at 01:00:00

    Father: Isaac WINSTON b: 18 Nov 1773 in ,Buckingham County, Virginia
    Mother: Nancy BRANDON b: 25 Apr 1794 in , Burke County, North Carolina

    Marriage 1 Rebecca J. CASON
    • Married: 20 Feb 1836 in , Wilson County, Tennessee 1

    1. Title: Marriage Records: Tennessee State Marriages, 1780-2002
      Author: [database on-line].
      Publication: Provo, UT, USA: Operations Inc, 2008.
  • We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

    Index | Pedigree | Ahnentafel

    Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly Version Search Ancestry Search Ancestry Search WorldConnect Search WorldConnect Join Today! Join Today!

    WorldConnect Home | WorldConnect Global Search | WorldConnect Help
    We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.