Name: George Dorham DOOLETTE
Birth: Abt 1813
Death: Bef 1883
Changed his name from Doolittle to Doolette in 1835.
Surname or Ship Name Year First Name/List No.
Doolette 1855 Eliza 55/16 7
Doolette 1855 Elizabeth 55/16 7
Doolette 1855 George 55/16 (2) 7
Doolette 1855 John 55/16 7
Doolette 1855 Nathaniel 55/16 7
Doolette 1855 Julia 55/16 7
Doolette 1855 Sally 55/16
55/16 is the list for the Nashwauk, 16th assisted immigration ship of 1855.
The Nashwauk was a cargo and migrant ship, built in Nova Scotia, which met an early grave in the waters off the Fleurieu, near Moana Beach, in 1855. Quoting the Moana Surf Life Saving Club site:
"She had set sail from Liverpool with 300 Irish immigrants on board who had the good fortune to survive the wreck. The vessel was a three-masted full rigged ship of 760 tons built in Nova Scotia during 1853. She left Liverpool on February 13,1855 carrying 300 Irish migrants and general cargo bound for Adelaide, South Australia. During the early hours of Sunday, May 13, the ship was tacking up St.Vincent Gulf in variable winds, after making it's way through Investigator Strait. Just before dawn, the Nashwauk went aground at Moana after her lookouts mistook the low sandy coast for a cloud in the darkness. By dawn she was abandoned as a total wreck. The ship's passengers and crew were all landed and taken to Adelaide, but storms soon destroyed the Nashwauk. Before serious salvage work could be carried out. Her cargo and remains were quickly buried under drift sand which ebbs and flows along the coast."
Elizabeth RAYNARD b: Abt 1820
- George Phillip DOOLETTE b: Abt 1839
- Julia Anna DOOLETTE b: Abt 1842
- Sarah Maria DOOLETTE b: Abt 1845
- Elizabeth Jane DOOLETTE b: Abt 1846
- John Buzzard DOOLETTE b: Abt 1848 in Ireland
- Nathaniel Dorham DOOLETTE b: Abt 1853
- Ann DOOLETTE b: 23 May 1856 in Norwood, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
- Abraham Symes DOOLETTE b: 7 Mar 1858 in Norwood, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
- Charles John DOOLETTE b: 26 Dec 1861 in Kensington, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia