Name: Martin Scheier
Addresses 1894 McCook County, South Dakota 1
Article taken from "100 Years of Gaith 1885-1985" published by St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Salem, South Dakota in 1985.
Martin Scheier, born in 1860 was the youngest son and only surviving son of John Scheier and Elizabeth Kuehner. The father was a horse trainer and horse trader.
Martin came to Salem in 1883 from St. Lucas, Iowa. He homesteaded five miles east and three miles north of Salem. He married Anna Werner, daughter of Casper and Sophie (Weber) Werner. Martin's mother came to Salem to reside with her only living son. She was buried in St. Mary’s cemetery in 1906.
Martin and Anna have eleven children: George, John, Father Peter, Anna (Sister Susan), Elizabeth (Brinker), Rose (Sister Simona), Martin, Minnie (Sister Nicholas), Brother Bernie, Mary (Sister Mary Martin), Magdaline (Sister Anella).
On September 3, 1912 George Scheier married Margaret Wethor and to them seven children were born: Marie (Sister Marcine), Georgina (Lunders), Benedict, Florence (Krantz), Joseph, Marcine and Edmund. Many of these families and their children now belong to the St. Mary’s parish.
Father: John Scheier
Mother: Elizabeth Kuehner
- John Scheier
- Martin Scheier
- Mary Scheier
- Magdaline Scheier
- Minnie Scheier
- Rose Scheier
- Sister Susan (Anna) Scheier
- George J. Scheier b: 1885
- Peter Nicholas (Priest) Scheier b: 2 NOV 1889 in Salem, South Dakota
- Elizabeth Mary Scheier b: 19 APR 1894 in McCook County, South Dakota
- Bernard (Brother) Scheier b: 15 APR 1903 in Salem, South Dakota
- Title: South Dakota Online Birth Information for births over 100 years ago