Steve Riddle's Family Tree

Entries: 188659    Updated: 2017-08-10 17:53:19 UTC (Thu)    Owner: Steve Riddle

Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Download GEDCOM

  • ID: I023223
  • Name: Joseph Whelden
  • Sex: M
  • Birth: 3 OCT 1769 in Dartmouth, Bristol County, Massachusetts
  • Death: 22 DEC 1854 in New Bedford or Fairhaven, Bristol, Massachusetts of Consumption.
  • Burial: Long Plain Cemetery, Acushnet, Bristol, Massachusetts
  • Occupation: 1850 Mariner
  • Note:
    Notes for JOSEPH WHELDEN:
    1850 MA Bristol County Census
    [from FTM CD, Disk 1, M432, #304, p204]
    Fairhaven
    Joseph Whelden 81 yr, Mariner b. MA [b 1768/1769]
    Rhoda 66 yr, b. MA [b 1783/1784]
    Living with Joseph and Rhoda are:
    John H. Taber 27 yr Mariner, MA [b 1822/1823]
    Mary H. Taber 25 yr, MA [b1824/1825]
    Susan Taber 13/17 yr, MA [b 1836/1837]
    Note: There are many other Whelden/Welden living in Bristol County (Seeeko nk, Dartmouth, Fall River, Pawtucket) as well as other counties. See print out.
    いいいいいいいいい
    Captain of whaling ship "Washington, 1836 out of Dartmouth MA.
    344 tons, owned by B. & J.W. Howland, sailed to the S Atlantic; left Dartm outh MA 6/22/1836, returned 6/4/1837 with 1700 BBls (barrels) of whale oil .
    [from Rick Turner, New Bedford Free Public Library
    more records in the New Bedford Mecury, Bristol County Probabte and Land C ourt in Taunton MA.]
    いいいいいいいいい
    History of Fairhaven has stories about Joseph as a prominent whaling capta in and mil owner; has photo.

    いいいいいいいいい
    History of the Town of Acushnet
    Author: Franklyn Howland
    Call Number: F74.A22H8 1907
    This book contains the history of Acushnet, Massachusetts.
    Bibliographic Information: Howland, Franklyn. History of the Town of Acush net. Published by the author. Massachusetts. 1907.

    p62-63
    A short distance south of its junction with Deep Brook is a stone mill, wh ich in recent years has become a ruin. It was established in 1815 by Jose ph Whelden, and in 1818 its owners were Joseph Whelden, Job Gray, Jr., Reu ben Mason, Loum Snow, Jireh and Jonathan Swift. After passing through seve ral conveyances in 1866 it was conveyed by Sylvanus Thomas to the Ci ty of New Bedford, which purchased the property rather than pay the damag es on account of the diminution in water power due to the use of the wat er above that point for municipal purposes. A well known enterprise sti ll further south is commonly known as "White's Factory," or the "Hamlin Mi ll." The land was formerly owned by John Spooner, and in 1746 was convey ed to Samuel Hammond. In 1778 a "new mill-dam" had been built and in 17 99 Moses Washburn sold to William White three-quarters of the saw-mill ne ar Colonels Pope and Kempton, with a passageway through Kempton's land. Th is was the modern White Factory road. In 1790 Edward Pope sold to Joseph W helden the upper grist mill, which Samuel Hammond conveyed to Thomas Po pe in 1751. 1811, William White to Joseph Whelden two acres and a cotton f actory. 1814, Whelden to William White, Jr., an interest in the dam, two h ouses, grist mill, saw mill, dye house, cotton factory and machinery. In 1 863 the entire property was purchased by the late Samuel B. Hamlin. Only t he saw mill has been operated for many years. The mill privilege on the no rth side of the road at the Head of the River has always been an importa nt property. Land was set off to certain persons as an inducement to bui ld a mill in the early years of the settlement. The owners in 1725 were Sa muel Hunt. George Babcock, Jonathan Hathaway. Joseph Taber, Nathaniel Shep herd and Stephen West, and mill land was on both sides of the rive r. In a deed in 1798 from Stephen Taber to William Rotch, Jr., it appea rs that there was a saw mill and corn mill on the west side of the rive r; the latter has long disappeared, but the saw mill still continues. Befo re his decease Colonel Samuel Willis owned a large proportion of the privi lege and of the land on both sides of the river. On the east side have flo urished several industries. In 1789 Simpson Hart conveyed to Isaac Terry l and for a blacksmith business, and the year following Terry conveyed to Wi lliam White the forge and shop that he bought of Hart. In 1794 J. Hathaw ay sold to Hart land on which stood the tan works south of Isaac Terry's i ron works. The forge ceased to be used many years ago. Judge Nathani el S. Spooner conducted a grist mill at the corner of the road and rive r, and the building was taken down in 1903.

    p105
    SELEConnecticutMEN Of the persons whose names are given below those previo us to 1860 may have held the office of selectman only, but subsequent to t hat date the selectmen were also assessors and overseers of the poor. Whel den. Joseph, 1816-17-18-19-31-32.

    p144
    It is interesting to observe from the above list the lead which Acushnet t ook over the New Bedford and Fairhaven sections in the representatives fur nished during the time when this town was a portion of the township of N ew Bedford, from 1787 to 1812, a period of twenty-five years. Acushnet fur nished all the representatives from 1787 to 1806, inclusive, except Benjam in Church, of the Fairhaven section.
    Furthermore, one of the representatives of each of the other five years w as a citizen of Acushnet. During these twenty-five years Walter and his so ns, Seth and Alden Spooner of Acushnet, were in the Legislature twenty ter ms; Walter five, Seth ten and Alden five. This is a remarkable record f or a family and a town. It is safe to assume that it excels that of any ot her township and family in the United States.
    Acushnet furnished the following representatives while it was a part of Fa irhaven, from 1812 to 1860: Whelden, Joseph, 1823-25-31-32.

    p175-176
    WHITE'S COTTON FAConnecticutORY Where the river is crossed by the prese nt White's factory road stood an extensive enterprise which is now kno wn as "White's factory" as the White brothers owned and managed cotton a nd woolen mills at this place. But the water power was utilized here lo ng before these mills were erected. A mill dam was built soon after 1746 a nd in 1778 there was a "New Mill dam" there. In 1799 there was a saw mi ll here which Moses Washburn that year sold to William White, Sr., with t he water privileges. William had a knowledge of manufacturing cotton and w oolen goods and bought this plant for the purpose of erecting a cotton mi ll to be run by himself and three of his bright, rugged industrious son s: Phineas, William and Benjamin. His other three sons engaged in the sa me business: Ansel at Long Plain, Ezra at Plympton, Massachusetts, and Ste phen at South Hadley, Massachusetts Captain Joseph Whelden, a neighbor, h ad an interest in the business. They at once constructed a stone cotton mi ll and other buildings, erected dwellings for operatives and the locali ty became a busy, thriving place. Captain Whelden sold to William White, J r., in 1814 his interest, the dam, two houses, gristmill, saw mill, dye ho use, cotton factory and machinery. This cotton factory stood on or near t he present saw mill and was burned the date of which is unknown as the bus iness papers and books of the concern were burned when this mill and its s uccessor was consumed by fire. It was probably the year 1830. as it was re built in 1831, the White brothers continued the business till 1844 when th ey sold to (Sylvanus) Thomas & (William F.) Dow who it is said enlarged t he mill and put in steam. The second factory was burned between 1854 and 1 856 and the business was discontinued. Among the products of these works w ere cotton cloth for the Fall River print works, dyeing and carding wool a nd fulling cloth for residents of this locality. Tradition is that the con struction of the first mill here was commenced in 1799, which we assu me to be correct, this was one of the very few cotton factories in the Uni ted States in that century. Slater's first mill, in Pawtucket, R. I., t he only mill of any account in this county at that date, was built in 179 3, and in 1816 only 500 bales of cotton of 300 pounds each were manufactur ed in this country. Samuel B. Hamlin bought the property and the convert ed ruins have been for many years a saw mill which is now owned by Jam es B. Hamlin. On a stone over the door of the mill is cut the date of i ts construction. 1831. See pages 55 and 62.

    One hundred men. This mill is fully equipped with all the modern machine ry and appliances for cheapening the work of production. The pond and d am at the northeast of the factory are picturesque spots. In viewing the se one should not allow the shadow of this incident published in the New B edford Mercury of Aug. 28, 1807, to pass over it: "Drowned in the Millpo nd at the Head-of-the-River, Quash Russell, a man of color."

    WHELDEN COTTON FAConnecticutORY That the William White cotton factory w as a success is indicated by the withdrawal of Captain Joseph Whelden in 1 814 and his building a larger stone mill a mile up the river, a short dist ance south of its juncture with Deep Brook, at once. Captain Whelden w as an energetic, thrifty retired whaling master, and there were associat ed with him in the project (in 1818), Job Grey, Jr., Loum Snow, Sr., Jir eh Swift and Jonathan Swift, under the firm name of Whelden, Swift & Coun ty It has not been ascertained when manufacturing was discontinued her e. The last conveyance of the property was in 1866 by Sylvanus Thom as to the city of New Bedford in connection with the introduction of wat er taken by that city from a reservoir on the river above that point for d omestic purposes. The vine clad ruins of the old factory are a picturesq ue object. For a number of years the town voted that the highway tax on W helden, Swift & County's factory be permitted to be laid out on the priva te way leading to the factory. This woods road was from the Long Plain ro ad on the east and the Mill road at the west, crossing the river at the mi ll on a bridge. See page 62.

    p198
    The following is a partial list of whaling captains who have been or are n ow residents of, and nearly all of them were born in this town. The reco rd of sea service of those with a * will be found in the biographical sect ion of this book. Whelden, Joseph; Captain Whelden was a boatsteerer on t he famous old whaler Rebecca, built in 1785 for Joseph Russell of New Bedf ord and named for his wife.
    いいいいいいいいい
    Vital Records of Dartmouth, Massachusetts to the year 1850 volume I-Birt hs
    WHELDEN (Wheldon), Abby B. (Wheldon), d. Joseph T., mariner, and Sar ah C. of D., 10th, 1 mo. 1845, in D.
    Catherine E. Kirwin [(???)], w. Samuel C., (???), 1847, G.R.1.
    Cirus, s. Joseph T., mariner, and Sarah C. of D., Apr. 18, 1848, in D.
    (???), s. Isaac, mariner, and Jane C. of D., 11th, 4 mo. 1846, in D.
    Vital Records of Dartmouth, Massachusetts to the year 1850 volume II-Marr iages
    WHELDEN, Ruth B. (Weldin), resident of D., and John Jones of D., int. No v. 21, 1819. WHALON, John R. (Whalen) [int. Whalon] and Martha [int. ad ds B.] Lamb, both of D., Jan. 15, 1832.
    Jonathan (Whalen) of D. and Miss Content Tripp of Westport, int. Mar. 3 1, 1821.
    Jonathan and Saviah Wing, both of Westport, Nov. 15, 1826.(*)
    Joseph, resident in D. [int. of Swansey], and Zelva Woodmansce [int. Susan na Woodmansey] of D., June 10, 1789. [Zilva Woodmansee, both of D., B.C. M. Whealen, resident of D., and Zelia Woodmansea, June 10, 1790 [sic], P.R .1.]
    Joseph and Maribah Pettey, both of D., int. Jan. 25, 1837.
    Mercy (Whalen) [int. Whalon] and Henry Chace [int. Chase], both of D., Ju ne 19, 1808. [Whalon and Henry Chase, P.R.1.]
    Nancy T. and Warren Levally, both of Troy, July 3, 1831.(*)
    WHARTON, Ravel [int. Whorten] and Mary Scroggings [int. Serogings], bo th of D., Dec. 17, 1767. [Wharton and Mary Scroggins, B.C.M.]
    WHEALER (see Wheeler).
    WHEELDEN (see Whelden).
    WHEELER (Whealer), Ann Eliza, Miss, and Rhodolphus Slocum, residents of D ., int. Apr. 28, 1846.
    Freelove (Whealer) of Scituate and Enock Brownell of D., int. Feb. 6, 177 3.
    Polly of D. and Thomas Clark, resident in D., int. Oct. 23, 1821. [m. De c. 4, P.R.1.]
    Squire of D. and Polly Peeas of Fairhaven, int. Dec. 21, 1817.
    WHELAN (see Whalon).
    WHELDEN (Weldin, Wheelden, Wheldon), Abigail (Wheldon), Miss, of D., and R ev. Hazael Lucas of Dennis, int. Apr. 21, 1831.
    Isaac of D. and Jane C. Shearman of N. Bridgewater, int. May 1, 1841.
    Joseph T. and Sarah C. Chadwick, both of D., int. Sept. 19, 1837.
    Polly (Wheelden) and Nathaniel Shepherd, both of D., int. Oct. 11, 1823.
    Roxanna (Wheldon), 36, of D., b. D., d. Isaac and Abby of D., and John Gor ham, single, 37, carpenter, of Newbedford, b. Newbedford, s. John and Susa n, June 4, 1846 [? in New Bedford].
    CHADWICK, Sarah C. and Joseph T. Whelden, both of D., int. Sept. 19, 1837.
    いいいいいいいいい








    Father: John Whelden , Jr. b: 5 MAR 1745 in Yarmouth, Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts
    Mother: Susanna West b: 6 NOV 1746 in Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts

    Marriage 1 Ruth Mason b: BET 1780 AND 1781 in Massachusetts
    • Married: 11 AUG 1798 in New Bedford, Bristol County, Massachusetts
    • Event: Intentions 11 AUG 1798
    Children
    1. Has Children Joseph Whelden , Jr. b: 29 APR 1799 in New Bedford or Fairhaven, Bristol, Massachusetts

    Marriage 2 Roby Taber b: 29 MAR 1784 in Fairhaven, Bristol County, Massachusetts
    • Married: 26 AUG 1821 in Fairhaven, Bristol County, Massachusetts
  • We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

    Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel | Download GEDCOM

    Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly Version Search Ancestry Search Ancestry Search WorldConnect Search WorldConnect Join Ancestry.com Today! Join Ancestry.com Today!

    WorldConnect Home | WorldConnect Global Search | WorldConnect Help
    We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

    RootsWeb.com is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.