Name: Alexander MONTGOMERIE
Suffix: , Master of Montgomerie
Birth: ABT 1445 in Eglington Castle, Kilwinning, Ayrshire, Scotland
Death: 1468 in Eglington Castle, Kilwinning, Ayrshire, Scotland
Change Date: 14 APR 2010
!(ALEXANDER MONTGOMERIE, styled MASTER OF MONTGOMERIE, grandson and heir apparent, being son and heir of Alexander MONTGOMERIE and Elizabeth his wife. He was born about 1445, and was of age in June 1466, when he was served heir to his father. He married before 1459, Catherine, daughter of Gilbert (KENNEDY), 1st LORD KENNEDY [SCT] by his 1st wife, Catherine, daughter of Herbert (MAXWELL), LORD MAXWELL [SCT]. He died in the lifetime of his grandfather, apparently in 1468.] Complete Peerage of England Scotland Ireland Great Britain and the United Kingdom, by G. E Cokayne, Sutton Publishing Ltd, 2000, Page: IX:135
!Alexander, styled second Lord Montgomerie, but who apparently never held the title. He was probably born about 1445, as he is said to be of lawful age in June 1460, when served heir to his father in the bailiary of Cunningham.(10-432) Little is known of his history. It is certain he was never infeft in the great lordships of Ardrossan and Eglinton, with the smaller estates, which are enumerated in the retour of his son Hugh as heir to his great-grandfather, the first Lord Montgomerie. Nor does he appear to have exercised the office of bailiary of Cunningham, to which he was served heir.(11-432) He appears to have died in 1468, as in the retour of his son Hugh as his heir in Bonington and Pilton (Coupar Writs in Moray Charter-chest, Div. 5, No. 87) these lands are said to have been in the hands of Katherine Kennedy for eighteen years by reason of conjunct fee, and thereafter for one year in non-entry. He married, before 1459, Catherine, daughter of Gilbert, Lord Kennedy,(12-432) and had issue:?
1. Hugh, who succeeded to his great-grandfather.
2. John, styled of Bowhouse. He and his next brother James are named together as brothers of the Earl of Eglinton in 1501, while John appears as Bailie-depute of Cunningham in 1500. He married ___, daughter
of Ramsay of Montfod, but had no issue.(13-432)
3. James, named in 1498 as brother of the Lord Montgomerie, also with his brothers in 1501, and again as the Earl's brother in 1517.(1-433)
4. Helen, said to have been married to Sir James Bruce of Airth.(2-433)
5. Marjory, said to have been married to William, Master of Somerville, on 13 June 1476.(3-433)
(10-432) _Ibid._*, ii. 36.
(11-432) _Ibid._, ii. 45, 46, where it is stated that Alexander, first Lord Montgomerie, was the last person infeft in Ardrossan and other lands, and that they had been in ward since 1470; cf. also p. 54.
(12-432) _Ibid._, i. 26; ii. 158; vol. ii of this work, 456.
(13-432) _Memorials_, i. 26; ii. 61, 70.
(1-433) _Memorials_, i. 26, 27; ii. 53.
(2-433) _Ibid._, i. 27.
(3-433) _Complete Peerage_, vii. 186. [Ref: SP III:432-3, sub MONTGOMERIE, EARL OF EGLINTON, as emended by SP IX:80]
Father: Alexander MONTGOMERIE b: ABT 1428 in Eglington Castle, Kilwinning, Ayrshire, Scotland
Mother: Elizabeth HEPBURN b: ABT 1426 in Hailes Castle, Prestonkirk, East Lothian, Scotland
Catherine KENNEDY b: ABT 1445 in Cassillis House, Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland
- Hugh MONTGOMERIE b: ABT 1459 in Eglinton Castle, Kilwinning, Ayrshire, Scotland
- Euphemia MONTGOMERIE b: ABT 1460 in Scotland